Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Search feature on Phonescoop

.I_I.

Oct 4, 2012, 9:37 AM
I've been accessing this site from my iPhone 4S without iOS6 and everytime I try to enter something in the search section of the site my virtual keyboard disappears and won't let me continue. Idk if this is just my device or others but just wanted to let you know.
Rich Brome

Oct 5, 2012, 5:24 PM
That's very odd. It's a standard HTML form field, so it sounds like a browser bug.
pjcforpres2020

Oct 6, 2012, 9:21 AM
Yup, it is a known bug with HTML forms and touchscreen/mobile browsers in general... they like to render the input box as 0px tall for the touch area... just try clicking on the bottom of the box, and it shoud work.

Rich, not sure if there is any CSS that can be done to correct, either. Some people report being able to make it better by putting a placeholder in the input field, others have reported that manually defining the textarea size in CSS instead of HTML helps too.

Personally, I have not had an issue on any of the websites I make with this, but I also use placeholders. I have been helping a friend go paperless with his business, and he has had issues with a couple websites with his tablet we got. Found if he clicks the bottom...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Oct 6, 2012, 9:28 AM
I can't seem to replicate it on any of my mobile devices at the moment. Weird.
pjcforpres2020

Oct 6, 2012, 10:08 AM
Neither can I... it is an odd little bug. Best I can tell, it has as much to do with the browser as it does the HTML element itself. Like I said, I have yet to have an issue with it, beyond my friends tablet (asus infinity) and stabpad.com to be exact. We found he just needs to select the bottom edge of the sign in screen, and it will work 100% of the time.

But I can tell that is purely bad coding on that websites end, especially if you view his site in ie8 or older, doesn't line up right. You aren't using any styling, best I can tell, or trickery, so you shouldn't have any issues. At least not widespread and rampant enough to look into it any deeper. Only reason I even know about this at all is because I was trying to figure out if...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Oct 10, 2012, 8:00 PM
Yeah, I don't know. I can't replicate it, although I only have iOS 6 devices on hand. Have you thought about upgrading to iOS 6?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.