Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

I was curious what your opinion is of the Google Market rebranding.

ERROR

Mar 14, 2012, 8:03 PM
I personally understand the desire to get away from the "Android" bit condsidering they're advertising it as a content provider for computers now, but I believe renaming it entirely to "Google Play" is a strange move.

It seems they're trying to shift it more in the directon of movies/music/books, but I feel like changing it to Play just cements in the emphasis on games in the market. I feel like they should have just went with "Google Market", and avoided the mass confusion this is starting to cause.
Amarantamin

Mar 14, 2012, 9:10 PM
A lot of customers are dismissing the 'PlayStore' entirely because they assume it's something for games.
Rich Brome

Mar 16, 2012, 1:20 PM
Personally, I agree. It sounds like a place for games; maybe music and video content. I wouldn't expect to find productivity apps and books when I tap an icon titled "Google Play".

Therefore I think it's a huge step backwards for usability of Android and discoverability of third-party apps.
ragequit

Mar 17, 2012, 6:37 PM
I've been out of the Android loop for a while, but I finally got myself an Android device yesterday. I've got to say, good on Google for cleaning up the Market or "Play" or whatever it's called now - there goes that confusion.

Aside from the naming debacle, I applaud the clean - albeit stolen from Microsoft - tile arrangement and its ease of use.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.