Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 13 replies

...and we're back

Rich Brome

Dec 19, 2011, 11:16 AM
We had an outage in various stages last night and this morning. The site was never fully offline, but it was near-unusable for much of the night, and the forums had to stay offline for much of the morning. Everything seems to be back up now; I hope for good.

I apologize. I was doing some site upgrades over the weekend that didn't go as planned. The database got mangled a bit and the forums had to be restored from Saturday night's backup. Unfortunately that means a day's worth of forum messages were lost, and the restore process took parts of the site offline for hours at a time. We are deeply sorry for both of those inconveniences.
Steve Jobes

Dec 19, 2011, 11:31 AM
Change is always so baffling at first.

But no worries my friend.
speedywalk

Dec 19, 2011, 11:46 AM
Just a question:

Why so I have "visited" links for posts I've never clicked?

Did some stuff disappear?
Rich Brome

Dec 19, 2011, 11:48 AM
We did lose yesterday's forum messages. But it sounds like you mean something else. Can you provide more detail?
speedywalk

Dec 19, 2011, 11:56 AM
it was weird that the posts were showing I clicked them when I hadn't. (some of the news stories did the same)

Not a biggie, just more curious
famoussasjohn

Dec 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
Rich Brome

Dec 19, 2011, 1:15 PM
I'm still confused.

Do you guys mean the link color?
Steve Jobes

Dec 19, 2011, 1:15 PM
Yeah, I think so.
Steve Jobes

Dec 19, 2011, 1:16 PM
I'm sure you know what they're talking about by now, but just in case, I think he's talking about the links changing to light blue as if they've already been clicked on versus the dark blue or whatever when they've yet to be opened.
Rich Brome

Dec 19, 2011, 1:22 PM
That's up to your browser. I can't imagine how anything on the site side could cause issues with that.
famoussasjohn

Dec 19, 2011, 1:27 PM
I'm thinking the post count is being reused and that's why it is showing as read on his end from posts that weren't backed up and removed from yesterday.
Rich Brome

Dec 19, 2011, 1:35 PM
Ah. I think I understand. Yes, that would make sense.

IF you were on the site, in the forums, yesterday, looking at messages that were lost in last night's glitch, then yes, you may see some incorrect read/unread link colors. This should affect messages posted today only, and will resolve itself for new messages by the end of the day.

That's because (as you said) the message ID numbers are being re-used. When the database was restored, it was restored to the forums as of Saturday night, including the incrementing message ID numbers. Therefore new messages posted today will use some of the same ID numbers as "lost" messages. The URLs will be the same, causing them to display as a visited link in your browser if you read the old "lost" m...
(continues)
AfterScoop

Dec 22, 2011, 6:15 AM
you're slipping buddy
famoussasjohn

Dec 19, 2011, 1:25 PM
It's more of like when a new post is posted, it's in bold, but a lot of his posts (I'm assuming here) that have been posted today are showing as read already, so the links are not bold anymore. It's hard to explain.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.