Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 54 replies

Request for Ban of Account

Azeron

Jul 18, 2011, 6:38 AM
Rich and whomever else runs this site. I have requested in a few places that my account be banned and if possible that you delete all my posts. I am upset that a reply to a post was deleted but more so that you guys sent me an email accusing me of violating the terms of service which IS an outright lie. I made no personal attack against an individual, but rather laughed at the idea that Verizon cares about saving a user money. They don't. That's a fact. Company culture IS: "We are not the cheap carrier nor do we wish to be." I know that first hand from round table discussions sales meetings, sales rallies etc... For you guys to allow a user who only created an account on 7/17/2011 to cause my post to be deleted and THEN to lodge that...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jul 19, 2011, 4:57 PM
I explained my decision in a private email to you.

Regardless of how you intended it, the message in question could have been interpreted as a personal attack. It's our policy to err on the side of caution when the intent of a message is ambiguous.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 11:02 AM
And you sent that same email to Jayshmay correct? I mean if you are going to go down that road equal enforcement is appropriate. Heaven forbid a polite request be honored and the so called head of this site choose to enforce decorum instead of defend a troll. Rather than asking me why I had an issue in private (since privacy is important according to your reply to Azeron) you post it publicly and in turn defend Jayshmay's juvenile name calling response.

Your website software has the ability to "guest" an account. Your "explanation" that someone could then register this name and use it is worthless. If someone like Azeron or I wish to be gone have the sack to honor that request. If you don't get why we want to leave that is your own ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jul 22, 2011, 11:44 AM
I did not defend any name-calling. There was a message that called you a name, and that was swiftly deleted and that person received a warning for it.

Our policy on closing accounts is posted and clear. I'm happy to answer questions about it. I honestly don't understand what you mean about "guesting" an account or why your think our explanation is worthless.

If you no longer wish to participate, that's certainly up to you. Just stop posting. It's as simple as that.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 12:04 PM
Guesting of an account is a very simple term used for changing the name of a poster to "guest12345" etc. It is extremely common on web forums. Perhaps you should educate yourself to the practice.

And yes, Rich, you did condone his response. If you gave a damn about my concerns you would have addressed them privately. You don't, and I have never come to expect you would. But to do so in the fashion you did condoned his behavior. Whether or not you "allow" threads to go off topic is beside the point. I asked for it to stay to the specific topic, he responded like a child and you backed him up publicly. Your fly by night random mod attempts are a joke.
Rich Brome

Jul 22, 2011, 12:14 PM
We have a custom forum system. I wrote it. It doesn't allow what you're suggesting.

And it won't, as a matter of policy. I think it's important that people are held accountable for what they say here, and that includes messages staying under the same username they were originally posted under.

Our forum system works in a unique way, and that's on purpose. Our moderation policies are also different from some other sites. That's also on purpose. You can call it "wrong" if you want, but that's your opinion. I'm proud of most of the ways our site is different, in its technical operation, our policies, and our enforcement of those policies.

There's no need for you to fling insults at me. If your insults had been directed at anyone else, ...
(continues)
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 1:13 PM
Oh I see what it takes now. Critique the owner and you can get banned.

Grow a thicker skin Rich. If you think those are "insults" guess again. I am a 7 year user commenting about how you run the site and how I believe you have allowed your system to run amuck which has driven away contributors.

Heaven forbid you critique the owner.
Rich Brome

Jul 22, 2011, 1:25 PM
I'm happy to listen to criticism, but this an insult plain and simple, and it's unnecessary:

Your fly by night random mod attempts are a joke.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 1:33 PM
If you consider that an insult I suggest you actually moderate your forums and cleanup what has driven away good users for years.

Case in point. The carrier forums have not had a single post today. The only post made on the top forum, Verizon, made in the last few days is mine.

So, yes, your random attempts to moderate ARE indeed laughable, and a joke. If you spent any time at all looking through some of these threads over the years you would have noticed the decline and could have put a stop to it.

And before you go there, yes, you cannot read every thread. But it was becoming so rampant it was ridiculous. Simply wait for a carrier to post quarterly results and wait for the insults to fly. That is like shooting fish in a barr...
(continues)
temporary

Jul 22, 2011, 2:40 PM
I don't mean to butt in, but you argument about the carrier forums is rather asinine. Rich provides quality content and is therefore a busy man. Why would he worry himself with the content of carrier forums? The same behavior occurs in every phone-related website.

As a seven year user, you know best that Rich does a darn fine job of running this place. Your borderline ad hominems are unnecessary and of poor taste. In addition, this is a rather private issue. For the sake of all of us, will you consider at least exchanging PM's with Rich, if not just drop the issue entirely?

Have a day, my friend.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 2:47 PM
#1 - Because he is obviously concerned about how people are treated in his statement to me in the above posts.

#2 - The traffic in that area is down drasticly from where it was in recent years. I submit it is due to him allowing the users to run amuck. Insults of others were readily found and it would have taken very little time for him to find it IF he actually considered it an issue. I submit he did not really care. I dealt with Captainplooky insulting me for years and Rich, et all wouldnt do **** about it.

#3 - RICH chose to address my concerns publicly. He opened the door.

So yeah, maybe you should butt out since you don't know all the facts.
temporary

Jul 22, 2011, 2:51 PM
I'm afraid you might be banned. I understand we all have bad days, so I won't take offense to your statement. πŸ™‚
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 2:59 PM
Maybe you just figured out my logic.
temporary

Jul 22, 2011, 3:03 PM
I'm in DFW too. Grapevine area. You close? Hiring?

As an aside, lol.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 3:05 PM
Grapevine huh?

PM me and I can get you some more specific information.
temporary

Jul 22, 2011, 3:07 PM
Done!
miasma

Jul 22, 2011, 2:52 PM
I submit that it's because more and more call centers are closing their proxies to phonescoop.com/forums/.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 3:00 PM
They why is the lounge so active?
IvyLeagueZombies

Jul 22, 2011, 3:01 PM
Have you seen the quality of poster in the lounge? I'd dare say that for the most part, even if slow, the Verizon forum has more intelligent stuff going on than the Lounge.
.I_I.

Jul 22, 2011, 3:03 PM
Ok, then why don't you go there...just saying.
tararatarara

Jul 22, 2011, 3:07 PM
+1
AfterScoop

Jul 22, 2011, 4:43 PM
🀣
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 3:04 PM
I agree, quality of posting is not exactly mensa level. But have you any idea how active the Verizon and AT&T forums used to be on this site? Many active users are now gone due to the rampant trolling and consistent attack actions of some posters. Any minimal moderating of the forum could have sent a message and cleaned it up but Rich chose to be hands off. Now it is merely a shadow of it's former self.
Jiangshu

Jul 22, 2011, 3:11 PM
Maybe not with some of the specifics, but the trolling and game of fanboy flag going back and forth is what drove me away from posting in there. The who's better game in nearly EVERY post sucked the air out of it.

How do you mod that though? Add a TOU "no carrier brovado"?
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 3:16 PM
The posts with this bravado almost always got out hand, and typically by the same people over and over. All you need to do is get some people to help moderate. Hell I know many who volunteer to moderator. You slap their pee pee a couple times and they stop. Just like rubbing a dog's nose in their pile in the corner. It was allowed to happen.

I agree, come quarterly numbers time I don't even bother. But look at how even that is dead now. No activity AT ALL today and Verizon released their numbers.
epik

Aug 9, 2012, 11:57 PM
I've been begging for this very thing for many years.
KioskGuy

Jul 22, 2011, 3:06 PM
That hurts, man.

derp.
miasma

Jul 22, 2011, 3:05 PM
Non-work related, we have fair bit of posters from home I suspect, myself included.

Lounge was always hands down the most active forum from day one at any rate. I suppose it could be a sign that blocked domains isn't the reason for the decline in posting but you would have to get pretty in depth to now for sure. Like, I'm not sure what the various policies are in vendor outlets, callcenters etc. If certain centers have different rules. Like maybe a tech support group has more access than customer care would.

I don't know and I'm not sure I care either. I was just throwing it out there that over the years I've seen more than one post from users that their center was losing access to the forums.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 3:29 PM
miasma,

I have been on here since 2004. The lounge was not the most active back in the day. There was a movement to moderate not specific carrier topics to the lounge. It was, in my opinion, a good move because it kept off topic (mindless) posts away from what Rich considered the more important information areas of his site.

This move succeeded and the lounge as you know it has grown. The carrier forums did not die, but became much more useful to customers asking questions and debate about carrier related topics.

Over the years the fanboys got worse and worse and the cross forum spam and attacks became overwhelming to many constributors. When we would come in and post people attacked the information rather than opening their ey...
(continues)
Jiangshu

Jul 22, 2011, 3:41 PM
texaswireless said:
Over the years the fanboys got worse and worse and the cross forum spam and attacks became overwhelming to many constributors. When we would come in and post people attacked the information rather than opening their eyes to the fact that (gasp) someone might know something they did not. Excellent case was the post by the user isellthe****outofphones. He posted he could help AT&T users get unlimited data. It was a slaughter of the original poster. That was typical of many contributors which is why they left.

This is something else I agree with you on.

There was also the constant, I left (so and so) because they suck. Or (So and So) sucks, why are they robbing me. Generally "new" u...
(continues)
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 3:44 PM
I am with you, those examples are hard to deal with. The problem is the easy to spot issues weren't dealt with. The hammering of contributors by accounts whose sole purpose seemed to revolve around causing trouble.
IvyLeagueZombies

Jul 22, 2011, 3:45 PM
Jiangshu said:

There was also the constant, I left (so and so) because they suck. Or (So and So) sucks, why are they robbing me. Generally "new" users who were really just trolling the forum. How do you mod it? What is a legit complaint and what constitutes a spam troll?

There is a certain other phone website that is pretty popular that i rarely frequent just because of this reason. It seems like its either Fanboi's or new users either trying to work the system or complain about a change, regardless what the change is.
miasma

Jul 22, 2011, 3:51 PM
I know. I've been here since '05. My old handle was Zombiej and I'm aware of the decline in posters. Sunday's are pretty much dead even in the lounge these days, it wasn't always that way.

I'm just more inclined to believe it's centers/vendors cracking down on 'time theft' rather than any real response to the quality of posters. Sure you lose some but there is always an influx of new users. I don't see the same flow off new users anymore. Mostly just same posters with different handles after a ban or whatever.

I'm out of my domain with verizon and AT&T forums though (even though you'll find some of my first posts on At&t forums I believe) since I don't post there anymore and haven't for years. I'll take you're word for it that ...
(continues)
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 4:05 PM
I posted a specific and recent example of it happening to someone else. Fantastic contributor hammered for trying to help.
miasma

Jul 22, 2011, 4:40 PM
And fair enough. But that's a single example and you're talking about quite a big and fundamental problem. That's the part I'm not sold on and I don't think you've done a good enough job documenting it to Rich. So you're coming off as, well, you know how it would appear so I don't have to say it.
miasma

Jul 22, 2011, 2:46 PM
All of this is really unnecessary.
tararatarara

Jul 22, 2011, 2:49 PM
i agree, if you donΓƒβ€šΓ‚Β΄t accept the way a place is run, you can just stop going to that place
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 2:58 PM
Doesn't that also apply in contributing to a thread with which you disagree? If you don't like the conversation you don't have to join either. Same concept.
tararatarara

Jul 22, 2011, 3:04 PM
but i do like the conversation about this thread being pointless and the lounge is kind of slow right now
KioskGuy

Jul 22, 2011, 2:55 PM
texaswireless said:
So, before you cry fowl

I don't understand what birds have to do with any of this.
texaswireless

Jul 22, 2011, 2:57 PM
Good catch. Not sure why auto correct chose to spell it that way.
temporary

Jul 22, 2011, 2:59 PM
You're too funny, KG. 🀣
planethulk

Jul 24, 2011, 4:28 PM
texaswireless said:

Heaven forbid you critique the owner.

Yeah don't do that. And don't "insult" any of his personal friends either. And don't do anything that could be misconstrued as an insult. And certainly don't be correct and point it out to him. These things will get you emails and banned. 🀨
HawkeyeOC

Jul 26, 2011, 7:03 PM
planethulk said:

Yeah don't do that. And don't "insult" any of his personal friends either. And don't do anything that could be misconstrued as an insult. And certainly don't be correct and point it out to him. These things will get you emails and banned. 🀨

Surely you don't think all that is true 😲
planethulk

Jul 27, 2011, 7:41 PM
HawkeyeOC said:

Surely you don't think all that is true 😲

Just the part where you are trolling me...
HawkeyeOC

Jul 27, 2011, 9:38 PM
planethulk said:

Just the part where you are trolling me...

I am going to miss Azeron. He was my friend 😒
pickles

Jul 27, 2011, 9:43 PM
Who is going to dish out pimp slaps now? Who will degrade n00bs with sarcasm and back-handed compliments?

Oh well. Personally, I could care less. He accused me of being diamondpro multiple times with zero evidence. He tended to be pretty reactionary sometimes, and he would always take everything so seriously. Case in point: The original post in this thread
HawkeyeOC

Jul 27, 2011, 10:02 PM
pickles said:
Who is going to dish out pimp slaps now? Who will degrade n00bs with sarcasm and back-handed compliments?

I inherited that unwillingly πŸ™„ Do I have to request a ban to shake off the "moral police" as it's been called roll I got? 🀣

Funny...I actually miss DiamondPro too. A lot of people seem to 🀣 He does follow a predictable pattern as far as the timing of his appearences...he will be back to set us all straight 🀣
pickles

Jul 27, 2011, 10:12 PM
DiamondPro is the best unintentional troll since Jayshmay
HawkeyeOC

Jul 27, 2011, 11:36 PM
pickles said:
DiamondPro is the best unintentional troll since Jayshmay

I recently suggested to Sprints top management that they hire him for some commercial work as a spokesperson, but either Dan Hess has too much influence or they are holding out for the T-Mobile girl which I assume might be available soon.

ok, I made that all up 🀣
pickles

Jul 29, 2011, 10:03 PM
I already hired the t-mobile girl to clean my pool
HawkeyeOC

Jul 30, 2011, 12:09 AM
Whatever you are paying, I'll double it 🀀
pickles

Jul 30, 2011, 4:01 PM
You can't afford it dude.
HawkeyeOC

Jul 30, 2011, 4:09 PM
pickles said:
You can't afford it dude.

🀣 🀣 🀣
AfterScoop

Jul 22, 2011, 4:29 PM
whooped Rich's bootay here

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.