Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 16 replies

HTML request

temporary

Jun 8, 2011, 6:15 AM
Mods:

Do you intend to offer the HTML option of underline for comments anytime in the near future? I appreciate your full line of existing HTML commands, but I'm surprised that underline is not an available command.

Thank you!
Ghostly Captain Ahash

Jun 8, 2011, 2:14 PM
I've often wanted to underline something but couldn't. It really confuses me why it wasn't included as well.
FaeLynne

Jun 8, 2011, 2:16 PM
I type book titles and things a lot and it drives me nuts that I can't underline them.
Rich Brome

Jun 9, 2011, 11:13 AM
You can italicize titles. 😉
FaeLynne

Jun 9, 2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I could.... but it's not proper grammar! 😁
Rich Brome

Jun 9, 2011, 12:15 PM
It is, actually.
speedywalk

Jun 17, 2011, 9:24 PM
or APA?

I'M SO CONFUSED!!!
IrishCarBomb

Jun 18, 2011, 9:50 AM
Doesn't matter, it is what it is 100% of the time no matter "standard". To be totally accurate, you never underline, you either italicize or you use quotation marks. With type writers, and now computers, underline has become an acceptable replacement for quotation marks, but technically isn't right either.

The general rule is that you italicize what can stand on its own, ie a novel/book, long poem, etc. You use quotation marks/underline smaller works that don't stand on their own, aka are a part of a larger worker, like chapters, short poems in a book of poems, or an article.
pickles

Jun 8, 2011, 11:10 PM
Underline would be an excellent option, as well as the html command to cross things out
Rich Brome

Jun 9, 2011, 11:17 AM
Okay, strikeout I sort of get, but underline?

I find that a surprising request. Bold is for emphasis, and italics for titles. Why would you need underline when can (and perhaps should) italicize instead?

I'm wary of adding underline for the same reason you don't see it used much on the web; underlines are reserved for links. It's confusing to have underlined text that's not a link.
FaeLynne

Jun 9, 2011, 11:58 AM
But links here appear in blue, simple underlined text would still be black.

I personally use underline when I want someone to notice something but it's not massive enough to use bold. I also discuss books and need underline to show the titles.
temporary

Jun 9, 2011, 12:15 PM
As FaeLynne pointed out, links will still appear in blue, and underlined text would appear in black. I don't suspect there would be much - if any - confusion over that.

There are a myriad of uses for underline; adhering to proper MLA standards is just one of them. I don't think I am alone by any means in yearning for the ability to underline text. For me, the most important use it would serve is to highlight text within a quote without changing the original font. For example, I like to post articles with figures and data that I want to make explicitly clear to my audience, yet I don't like to use bold, because as I mentioned, it distorts the original font of the text.

Once again, there are many uses for underlining text, and Fae and ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jun 9, 2011, 12:25 PM
While links would still be blue, i think it would look close enough to create confusion at first glance. I much prefer to make everything as visually simple and clear as possible. For me, that's much more important than the usefulness of having underlined text.

Also, modern MLA standards now call for italics instead of underlining. Look it up. Underlining is essentially outdated.
temporary

Jun 9, 2011, 1:03 PM
So essentially, there is no argument that will sway your opinion?
ATTDRONEV2.5

Jun 10, 2011, 6:10 PM
he might take cash
pickles

Jun 9, 2011, 11:31 PM
I see your point about underline. I won't try to argue with you on that because I really don't care about underline too much (personally) but strikeout would be nice to very nice to have
pickles

Jun 9, 2011, 11:45 PM
that I meant it would be very nice to have, and not nice to very nice to have

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.