Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 23 replies

hey rich

Rigglemonster

May 14, 2011, 6:19 PM
I was wondering if you could delete my previous screen names of nothing4free and Theatrical_Shenanigans. I won't be using them anymore and I know they are a waste of space.

Thanks!
AfterScoop

May 17, 2011, 12:12 PM
It is for your own protection - if we actually deleted your account, someone else could potentially register with the same exact username and impersonate you.

isnt there an option to block the said name that you would delete? Because i know its can be done...or you wanna keep as much accounts for site ratings?
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 12:15 PM
I don't understand what you mean. ☚ī¸
AfterScoop

May 17, 2011, 12:51 PM
with my forum, if i was to delete an account upon request by one of the members, i have the options set up to block the username of that account along with the IP and email...
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 1:07 PM
Then there's still a record of that username and email, so it's not really deleted, just moved to a different list in the system.
AfterScoop

May 17, 2011, 1:41 PM
i know that...
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 1:18 PM
To elaborate:

Like I said, if you keep the username and email address in order to block them, then I question whether that's really "deleting" the account. I could tell people that we've deleted accounts when we haven't, but instead we choose to be very honest and direct about what we do with people's information.

The only other info we have that we could delete is the messages people have posted, but then we run into a problem with the threaded nature of our forum system. If we actually delete the messages, all replies under those messages would be deleted as well. That's not fair to other people who participated in that conversation.
AfterScoop

May 17, 2011, 1:43 PM
well i normally leave the post and threads made by the deleted account
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 2:13 PM
Then what, if anything, is actually being "deleted"?
AfterScoop

May 17, 2011, 2:23 PM
no its left on the forum board...others may see the posts and threads and also see that the accunt has been deleted...its the same here but structured differently...i have a forum board
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 2:52 PM
But if you keep the username, email address, and everything they've posted, is anything actually "deleted"? What's the point of saying you've "deleted" someone's account when nothing is actually being deleted? Seems misleading to me.
Ishamael

May 18, 2011, 1:57 PM
It sounds more like you're referring to locking an account so that it cannot be logged in to, such as a banned account might be. All of the information still exists in the system, the account simply cannot be logged into anymore.

'Deleted' is the wrong word for what you're wanting accomplished; As Rich stated, telling users their information was 'deleted' would be misleading. There will always be a record of some sort regarding that user's existence on the site.

In the long run, it sounds like you just want a message stating that the user no longer exists when the profile is looked up or someone tries to log in, but you'd still want a record of everything else they did on this site (which wouldn't ever be deleted anyways). This sounds ...
(continues)
AfterScoop

May 20, 2011, 8:18 AM
the layman terms, and i try not to confuse the members with little knowledge of the behind the scenes terms and explanations, i tell them that it is.

We can actually remove all data of that account, but as Rich said, its best to keep the account related info for a later purposes
Ishamael

May 20, 2011, 12:57 PM
Instead of 'confusing people', you lie to them about how their data is being handled?

The FCC wants to speak with you.

https://www.phonescoop.com/news/item.php?n=8152 »
AfterScoop

May 21, 2011, 3:06 PM
quit being so dramatic
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 1:13 PM
There's no meaningful benefit for "site ratings".

Considering the case of a banned user or person with more than one username, it's important to us to keep the old accounts and messages for internal use, so we have a record of that person's history with us.

There are malicious people who say or do terrible things with their accounts here, are banned, and try to come back. We need to keep records of that history in order to effectively protect the rest of our community from those people.
AfterScoop

May 17, 2011, 1:27 PM
welli get what you're saying there...
Ishamael

May 18, 2011, 1:51 PM
By keeping the account open, 'said name' is blocked from being reused.

What would the difference be between entirely deleting an account and blocking the name, as opposed to merely leaving the account open but unused?

For one, there would be more work for the administrators, both in erasing the original account and blocking the name from being used again.

Second, it's pointless and misleading. Were an account to be deleted, the messages that went along with it would go too. What about the replies that people made to those posts? They would be lost too. It could cause a mess. Plus, if someone tried to create a new account in the 'blocked' name, it wouldn't let them, despite there not being record of another person on the entire site ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

May 17, 2011, 1:08 PM
They're not a waste of space. The resources in question are insignificant.
AfterScoop

May 17, 2011, 1:17 PM
oh ok...everyone has his own way of dealing with things...carry on
Ishamael

May 21, 2011, 12:35 AM
https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

Found this looking for a particular older post.

The user Simplydiva no longer exists at all. So, you can get to the post I've linked, or the one by Dread further down in the same thread, but you cannot open any of Simplydiva's posts. Note that she created the thread; if you try to go to the beginning of the thread, it's not possible, because the user no longer exists.

See the problem?
Rich Brome

May 23, 2011, 12:43 PM
That's just a database glitch. Sorry. Fixed.
Ishamael

May 23, 2011, 2:06 PM
Thanks!

😁

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.