Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Question:

mwise13

Apr 11, 2011, 8:59 PM
I have never seen a thread be closed before by a moderator, but today in the lounge there was a thread closed. It was along the lines of 'the last one to post here is the winner'.

I am not bothered in the slightest that it was closed out. I am just curious as to the reasons a thread can be closed.

Is it due to the sheer length or the risk of it being one of those threads that can grow exponentially to a huge level for this site?
speedywalk

Apr 12, 2011, 9:23 AM
when a thread gets above x numbers of replies, it taxes the servers. I've seen it 3 or 4 times before.

It happens, not often, but it does.
MadLib

Apr 12, 2011, 11:06 AM
But what about the Kinds of Customers thread in Shop Talk. That thread is like 200 messages or more now.
OrionsVantage

Apr 12, 2011, 11:32 AM
that thread might have more 'value' than 'whoever posts last wins'

😕
watagatapitusberry

Apr 12, 2011, 11:33 AM
thats racist...
5tr0uble5

Apr 15, 2011, 7:36 PM
forumist?
Rich Brome

Apr 12, 2011, 11:34 PM
Yes.

It was clearly a thread started for the sole purpose of creating the longest possible thread, which is a problem for two reasons:

1. It annoys people and they complain. Other people know this and start such threads on purpose, specifically to annoy those people. We have a rule about that. We frown upon threads that are pointless and/or intended to annoy others.

2. When they get really long, they can slow things down a bit. Not anything close to bringing the site down, but it's unnecessary for a pointless thread like that. We like to take proactive steps to keep the site performance as fast as possible for everyone.
Jayshmay

Apr 13, 2011, 12:20 PM
Hey Rich, I've got a ? for you. As you may know, I don't work in the wireless industry, just an enthusiast of all things wireless & mobile. I am completly open minded about saying anything positive, or anything negative about ANY carrier.

So what my question to you is, how would you define being a "troll"?
Lba10209

Apr 14, 2011, 1:35 PM
Hideous
Lba10209

Apr 14, 2011, 1:36 PM
😛
Ishamael

Apr 14, 2011, 12:00 AM
https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

Longest legitimate thread I've ever seen!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.