Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 33 replies

Question about the Lounge,

Ghostly Captain Ahash

Mar 27, 2011, 7:06 PM
since it seems like I might get my question answered by the mods here more-so than elsewhere.

I find phonescoop to be a really great resource for both phone info and reviews and news regarding the cell industry in general. I find myself using it just for phone/carrier lookups even at home.

After using the site for some time though, I ended up stumbling across what seems to be your most active forum; the Lounge. I found a surprising community tucked deep within your quality cell phone site, completely unrelated to cell phones. I see people who have been users for years still posting, and users who haven't posted in equally long periods of time coming back to fill the rest of the group in on life-happenings or just saying hello. O...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Mar 27, 2011, 10:01 PM
With any forum setup for a specific topic (like phones,) off-topic posts are an issue. One way to deal with it is to disallow it completely. The other way is to create a separate place for it. We chose the latter from the beginning. It's a friendlier way to deal with it, and less of an uphill battle. 😉 Sp yes, we always intended to have Lounge forum and for it to contain pretty much what you see there today.

We still have rules in the Lounge forum - it's not "anything goes" - which is why you see people being banned on occasion.

What has happened that was somewhat unexpected (back when I launched the site) is that some companies block most of the web on the company network, but white-list us. So for a large number of people, we of...
(continues)
Ghostly Captain Ahash

Mar 28, 2011, 2:41 PM
have you ever thought about closing the Lounge because of the difficulties? I'm sure it accounts for most, if not all, of the "Report to moderator" submissions. Or does the value of keeping those posts out of the phone-relevent forums outweigh that extra activity?
Rich Brome

Mar 28, 2011, 2:42 PM
The latter.
Ghostly Captain Ahash

Mar 28, 2011, 7:20 PM
that the Lounge is the Australia to the Britain of the rest of the forums? You just stick all the degenerates there to prevent them from harming the general populace? 😛

Also, I appreciate your willingness to answer questions posted here, even if they are silly a lot of the time.
Jayshmay

Apr 1, 2011, 10:28 AM
Who knows, maybe Rich thinks that, !! I !! do, but he's not going to admit to thinking that on here!
Etsi

Apr 1, 2011, 10:37 AM
loves us.
speedywalk

Apr 4, 2011, 10:30 AM
emails to you, llama, and Avaya?
Mikey C

Mar 28, 2011, 9:28 PM
so its kind of like the DC smoke out? the basic idea of "they're gonna do it anyway, might as well fence them in away from the general public."

Even the smoke out has helicopters going by.
Jayshmay

Apr 1, 2011, 10:29 AM
🤣 ! ! !
Jayshmay

Apr 1, 2011, 10:24 AM
What I think is sad about the Lounge is that an overwhelming majority, nearly all posters in the Lounge seem to come to Phone Scoop exclusively for the Lounge, and not the news headlines.

I come to this site because I'm a cellphone enthusiast, and the wireless industry is moving extremely fast, and it's interesting to observe. A long time ago an employee @ Best Buy told me about it. And really the only time I ever go to the Lounge is if I am extremely, extremely bored. It's very, very rare anything intriging is being discussed their.
Candall

Apr 1, 2011, 10:42 AM
Look at the other side of the coin, though. A lot of us are here because it's one of the very few sites that our call centers allow us to visit. We're all so steeped in the wireless industry at work that we use the lounge as a place to just be people.

Is it really that sad?
Jayshmay

Apr 1, 2011, 11:05 AM
What I am saying is sad is that it seems like the Lounge is the ONLY reason these people come to Phone Scoop and that they never, and I do mean never, post in the news headline forums. That is what I'm saying is sad.
llama

Apr 1, 2011, 11:44 AM
I disagree. Look around...
Jayshmay

Apr 1, 2011, 12:01 PM
Oh sheez Ilama! So when you say look around, are you implying that there are indeed people who post in both the Lounge and news headline discussions?. . .Well, I've seen you in some carrier forums, but not any news headline discussions.

Perhaps you can give me some examples?
kvlt

Apr 1, 2011, 12:07 PM
I did several times last week.
Jayshmay

Apr 1, 2011, 12:17 PM
Hmm. . .somehow I missed your posts. I do pretty good at reading through all the posts in the news headlines.

Were they in the ATT buying Tmo headlines? That's definetly going to be an interesting regulatory process to observe.
mwise13

Apr 1, 2011, 12:37 PM
The lounge like candall said is the only place where we are able to communicate with the outside world from our call centers. THat being said, we're also posting in here to learn more and help phonescoop be an even better site, we post in shop talk, we post in many different locations as well as news headlines.

I think that the lounge was obviously going to be one of the more popular locations just because any kind of open chat forum would be, especially if its accessible to us from our secluded and dark caves that call centers and stores and kiosks are.
Jayshmay

Apr 1, 2011, 12:45 PM
As well as news headlines?. . .

It seems to me that those who post in the Lounge ONLY post in the Lounge.
Candall

Apr 1, 2011, 1:01 PM
If I have nothing to say about the news, I'll continue to say nothing about the news. It's not like my insight over there is going to pay my rent for the Lounge.
pickles

Apr 2, 2011, 9:43 PM
people who post on news articles ONLY post on news articles. when's the last time you posted in the lounge jay? HUH? when? it's easy to make a blanket statement like that, but it's not easy to make such a statement without being blatantly wrong.
famoussasjohn

Apr 3, 2011, 10:35 AM
cares? I used to post on news topics, but they just turn to arguments over stupid crap. Every Apple or Android news article is everyone arguing on what phone is better or what network is better. either post something relevant to the particular news article or don't post at all. Not saying it's you that does it, but that is probably a reason why you don't see people responding to news articles.
llama

Apr 5, 2011, 7:18 AM
Well, that's just not true. I personally have posted in the Verizon forum, the general forum, the T-Mobile forum and others.

As to posting in the "News" forums...I think I have...not as much as you. I don't usually comment one "News"...I prefer to waste my time in a more efficient time-wasting location such as The Lounge.

To each their own...I just think because others don't follow your posting habits doesn't make them anything more or less a valid poster.
serendair

Apr 5, 2011, 4:05 PM
post in places relevant to my interests. If the majority of them happen to be in the Lounge?

Then, well, why wouldn't I post there?

I'll read and discuss news topics with coworkers more than I will posting about them. But I've posted in the carrier's forum, Shop Talk and once or twice on the news ones when a particularly interesting one has shown up.
kvlt

Apr 1, 2011, 12:51 PM
I always read the news articles as soon as I bring Phonescoop up. Most of us don't typically comment on them because we work in the wireless industry and it's all we talk about for 8-10 hours a day.
didnt know

May 10, 2011, 2:16 PM
you're so right!
pickles

Apr 2, 2011, 9:34 PM
jay, i comment on news articles all the time. i come here for the lounge, sure. one of the few ways to kill time at work. but what first drew me to PS was the plethora of info available on just about everything related to wireless phones. when i first started my current job, PS really helped me a lot. Lately, it's not only helped me with info and advice from other helpful users, but it definitely helps me kill time via the lounge. so i disagree with you completely. on the flip side, a lot of people who post on news articles never set foot (figuratively speaking of course) in the lounge.
speedywalk

Apr 4, 2011, 10:33 AM
Aren't they really there to inform?

I mean, I probably read the news page more than anybody else here.

I just don't care to "discuss" the news with others in the industry, especially since it's mainly "low men on the totem" that are on here.
OrionsVantage

Apr 5, 2011, 1:19 AM
I'll give you an example. Me.

I don't do a lot of posting, but i go to phonescoop almost every day. I spend most of my time lurking the lounge, but i also spend a fair amount of time in the Carrier forums (mostly verizon). I also spend a good amount of time reading the news articles, or at least the ones that pertain to my interests and other news that would help me on the sales floor. IMHO there are more fanboi's and rabble rousers posting in News than any other area of the site. If i wanted to get into those types of discussions, i'd go to howards forums. The PS lounge is something of a forum rarity, especially since its in a website thats so specialized. You have to remember that this website is frequented by two different typ...
(continues)
Ishamael

Apr 2, 2011, 6:44 PM
I do read the news articles, and occasionally reply to them.

Even though I love the lounge!
didnt know

May 10, 2011, 2:10 PM
Candall said:
Look at the other side of the coin, though. A lot of us are here because it's one of the very few sites that our call centers allow us to visit. We're all so steeped in the wireless industry at work that we use the lounge as a place to just be people.

Is it really that sad?

I think this is the main reason.. Honestly i'm one of them.. We're just bored at work.. and this is the only way we can 'kill' some time.. 😕 😕
olderthandirt

Apr 3, 2011, 3:54 PM
The Lounge is a place to chat and not about the industry per sec.

Those who do the tech everyday use this as a sort of chat lounge. Not everything in life needs to be serious or bent on tech.
olderthandirt

Apr 4, 2011, 5:20 PM
The one thing I did want to add is that I feel the thread about trashing customers is not doing us any good.
Phonescoop is available on the net and I for one get tired and a little offended by customers getting trashed.
Yes, there are those out there we would prefer were using 2 cans and a string. But we are creating a very negitive image for ourselves by trashing people so much.
I know that it is a venting thing for a lot of us. Keeps us from going barking mad at times.
But please be aware that there are many fine customers out there and we also are far from perfect.
mwise13

Apr 4, 2011, 8:31 PM
You have made your point here and in the shop talk section. We all read it.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.