Black_Beard

Oct 1, 2010, 5:00 PM
an app would be so sick for this site.
justfinethanku

Oct 1, 2010, 5:35 PM
Seriously. we want a phonescoop app!
Rich Brome

Oct 2, 2010, 11:11 AM
Really? Why? Would would it do? I've tried to imagine a Phone Scoop app, and I'm not sure what the utility would be.
Black_Beard

Oct 4, 2010, 4:04 PM
I would see it as just easier access to the site, and it could simplify everything in comparison to using the browser.

added benefits i could vision

- you could stay logged into your account all the time

-you could have an auto sync feature and get notification on all the new news.

-with the app you could auto-format all the news articles to so we don't have to deal with pinch zoom and all the scrolling up,down, left, and right.

-quicker access for posting and replying on the forms.

So thats all i got for now. Its not that it's necessary the site is already built well and easy to use, like i said it would just give easier access, and cool features.
Avaya

Oct 5, 2010, 8:00 AM
will you help pay for it?
phyxlor

Oct 5, 2010, 9:26 AM
i would imagine all these pictures on the right side of these pages would just appear on the bottom/top really thin... pretty sure those pay for this site. might as well have them pay for the app too? after all, it would allow those pretty little ads to reach that many more people that much more frequently. as long as they're barely noticable 😉
Black_Beard

Oct 5, 2010, 11:03 AM
why not? Would you? I wouldnt mind donating a couple dollars...or buying the app for a couple dollars once its in the market.
Avaya

Oct 7, 2010, 2:29 PM
do it and stop yapping...well in this case, stop typing
Black_Beard

Oct 7, 2010, 6:46 PM
What r u talking about? I dont see an app to buy? I also dont see anywhere that i can donate money to go towards the development of an app.
An app is a great idea. Stop hatin.
speedywalk

Oct 5, 2010, 9:11 AM
would be pretty handy.
Etsi

Dec 17, 2010, 9:59 AM
The fact that there's no app for this site is kind of ironic.

But if you want a huge point, how about for the cellulary industry... they can pull up phone data for a customer on the phone itself. I know when I worked for Dobson, I would have loved to have an app for this site.

& I'd also appreciate a more mobile friendly version for this site if nothing else. Another piece of irony.
Rich Brome

Dec 17, 2010, 10:19 AM
Yes, we absolutely should have an updated mobile version of the site. Trust me that is high on the to-do list.

Of course the funny thing there is that modern phones are competing to deliver a "desktop" web experience. It's one of the big selling points of a good mobile browser that you can view full web sites with ease and don't need to use mobile versions.

Yet, everyone is creating mobile versions just for those kinds of browsers anyway. There is some value to it. We plan to have that, and give users the choice of switching to the full version, as we do today. (We may phase out our old WAP site at that time, though. We can't support a half-dozen different versions of our site at the same time.)

As for an app, again, I don't see the...
(continues)
Etsi

Dec 17, 2010, 1:56 PM
Sometimes less is more. I can't wait to see a nice mobile version of this site. Scrolling and making text bigger to read, then having to scroll over to read the rest... it's cumbersome.
Joby Dick

Dec 20, 2010, 2:12 AM
Rich Brome said:
From a practical standpoint, developing one app is hard enough, but then how many different apps would we need to build to support all major platforms? As a phone site, people might accuse us of bias if we only targeted iOS, or only Android. How many others? webOS? Windows Phone? BlackBerry? Symbian?

I know you know that Android and iOS are the only two platforms that should be supported, were you to develop an app. The rest are insignificant (unless you're targeting the international market, in which Symbian should be supported) for a few reasons, but mainly because Google and Apple are going to push the little guys out of the way over the course of the next few years, garnering pr...
(continues)
texaswireless

Jan 5, 2011, 2:05 PM
Yeah, the number 2 software platform shouldn't matter at all.

Ignorance.
Rich Brome

Jan 6, 2011, 2:26 PM
To which are you referring? Symbian?

Phone Scoop focuses on the US market, where Symbian has almost zero market share.
texaswireless

Jan 6, 2011, 2:31 PM
I was referring to bb os. According to nielsen bb os is number 2 in the us.
Rich Brome

Jan 6, 2011, 2:34 PM
Ah. Nevermind.

Apps don't seem to be as popular on BB. I don't see the demand for an app of everything on BB the way people want an app for everything on iOS and Android.

But again, I think Apple's "there's an app for that" marketing is what drives the demand for an app for everything on that platform, and Android as the primary competing platform. But that doesn't mean an app will actually deliver a better experience than a mobile site for every use case.
Joby Dick

Jan 6, 2011, 6:55 PM
I understand the fact that a Phonescoop mobile app may not be able to offer a whole lot or even deliver a better experience than in a mobile browser. But, don't you find it ironic that one of the largest and most trusted mobile phone websites doesn't have an app?
Rich Brome

Jan 6, 2011, 6:59 PM
It's a lot of work (or money, if outsourced) to create an app. Well, a good app. 😉 We wouldn't want to put out a half-assed one.

More importantly, it's not a one-time thing. It also requires resources to maintain, in several ways. Adding a platform for our content is a major ongoing commitment if done correctly.
Joby Dick

Jan 6, 2011, 7:27 PM
you could implement advertisements to offset the costs (or time) of maintaining the app. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that mobile ads can be lucrative if implemented correctly.
llama

Jan 6, 2011, 8:05 PM
Rich Brome said:
half-assed

😁

Hope CES is fun!
Joby Dick

Jan 6, 2011, 8:26 PM
ass off.
justfinethanku

Oct 6, 2010, 11:10 AM
Benefits of an iPhone/Android application

1. Generate more AD revenue
2. Make it easier to access the news for your readers on the go
3. Phone finder App would make shopping for the right phone a lot easier.
4. Compete with the likes of Engadget and Boy genius in the mobile market

I don't know. There have been a million times I've not logged on because I simply didn't want to go onto the mobile browser. I am constantly on the other sites though.

A tool like phonescoop (and it really is a tool as well as a news service) would be incredibly helpful for us sales people as well!
Joben

Oct 6, 2010, 7:11 PM
where is that app? You cannot deny that an app available on Android and iPhone would be extremely popular. The ad revenue you would gain should pay for the development costs and turn you a profit quickly.

On a side note, I once asked how many registered s/n's there were for phonescoop, and speedy answered somewhere arround 188k. Was that just bs he made up or is that a legit number? Regardless, introducing a mobile app is such a good way to gain eyeballs on all those extra ads and expand your user base.
Amarantamin

Oct 6, 2010, 7:50 PM
The majority are certainly inactive.
Joben

Oct 6, 2010, 7:52 PM
Lounge posts for the last year, you will notice many hundreds of s/n's that are no longer in use. You of all people probably have a great grasp at how many people there are actively posting, since you troll quite a bit. 188k seems unrealistic...I'd like to get an accurate number.
Amarantamin

Oct 6, 2010, 8:58 PM
Yeah, I've looked. There's a ton.

188,000 does seem unrealistic.
This_Troper

Oct 6, 2010, 9:01 PM
That's 44,000 more people than are going to Heaven!
Amarantamin

Oct 6, 2010, 9:06 PM
I didn't have very high hopes anyways.
speedywalk

Oct 7, 2010, 10:05 AM
Pretty sure all you have to do is click on a new user and look at the member number in the URL.

Obviously Rich is member id number 1.
Joben

Oct 7, 2010, 10:56 AM
I like it.
speedywalk

Oct 7, 2010, 1:05 PM
if you add the 3's in pairs you get speedy666!
Joben

Oct 7, 2010, 2:57 PM
Seems like too much manipulation. speedy36333 is cooler in my book.
synystar

Oct 7, 2010, 11:28 AM
Ha! That's me 😁
Joben

Oct 7, 2010, 12:01 PM
Indeed. So, as to your statement last night about your lurking; what have you classified me as?
synystar

Oct 7, 2010, 1:00 PM
I don't have any strong opinions about you Joben. You seem very friendly and almost always read your posts. They're usually worth taking a look at.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.