Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 9 replies

Welcome to the new forums!

Rich Brome

Oct 17, 2003, 2:46 AM
Welcome to the all-new Phone Scoop Forums!

This replaces the USENET news groups that were available here previously. There is a long list of reasons why I decided to switch to a dedicated forum system. It boils down to two main things, though:

1. As is the nature of USENET, they were unmoderated. Several of the groups had devolved into troll havens, and I was powerless to do anything about it. The new forums will allow me (and eventually a team of moderators) to make sure the discussion stays civilized.

2. USENET is an ancient technology. It is severely limited and flawed compared to today's modern web message boards. The new forums are much more powerful and flexible, and provide much greater privacy protection.

3. (continues)
Rich Brome

Oct 17, 2003, 2:51 AM
Rich Brome said:
Things I will be adding soon:

• "report this message to moderator" links.

• A button to preview your message before posting it.

• Image attachments.

...whoops! 🤭 Isn't that ironic... a prime example of where that "preview" button would have come in really handy. I'll get to it soon, I promise!
momcat1

Oct 17, 2003, 2:41 PM
😁 😁 😁
Yeay! Keep out the trolls. Frankly the past few weeks have been very difficult to put up with, due to a few very vocal, not nice people. Most of the members I've met were good people, and I do hope they will participate here.

Good luck!
Myth

Oct 17, 2003, 8:09 PM
My first reaction was shock -- 😳

After a bit of poking around, though, I think I like it. 🙂 A lot. 😁

Looking forward to an environment without some of the more egregious postings, and messages I can respond to without a three-day cooling-off period.
s_strosberg

Oct 17, 2003, 8:18 PM
I was a little apprehensive about the new layout on this site, but is is growing on me. Great job. Keep up the good work 😎
wb

Oct 17, 2003, 11:06 PM
Thank you. We all need a fresh start. While I am not a long time user here I have come to enjoy the learning process and the exchanges of ideas.
filabeaner

Oct 18, 2003, 3:23 AM
Rich,
i am a long time regular user of phonescoop and really enjoyed reading your knowledge filled posts of long ago. i am glad to see you posting again in these places, however i really liked the sheer number of users of the usenet. even if it can be filled with trolls. anyways, i was wondering if you could suggest a website to go to(besides sprintusers.com) that still has a reliable usenet without to many flaws.

Thanks

Ryan
Rich Brome

Oct 18, 2003, 7:17 AM
Google Groups is the only major site I know of that offers similar access to those groups:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&g ... »

I do hope, however, that you'll give the new forums here a chance. They are young (just one day!) but already picking up some momentum. I really grew unhappy with USENET news groups for a number of reasons, and I honestly think that we can build a better community here than was possible with USENET. USENET is an ancient technology that was designed way before spam and even the web itself, and it shows - badly.
akp99

Oct 18, 2003, 3:39 PM
Agreed, it is a shame when a few ruin the enjoyment of the many. The site's received quite a bit of publicity recently, I can really see an even more glowing future for it!
Rebguy

Oct 18, 2003, 5:36 PM
Love the new forums! This was a great idea, I agree the usenets are nothing but a place for flame wars anymore. A lot of people with much knowledge of the wireless industry follow this site, this should be a great place to pick up a lot of valuable information.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.