Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 23 replies

Rich: You appear to be using Internet Explorer 6.

speedywalk

Jun 8, 2010, 4:03 PM
So, I read the warning on the top of the page.

What exactly would happen with IE 6 after the remodel? What will work and what won't?

I ask because I use this site (as well as numerous coworkers) for phone information and our employer won't update the browser.

Will the site be lost entirely?
looch_himself

Jun 8, 2010, 4:49 PM
Amarantamin

Jun 8, 2010, 5:41 PM
Operations and IT refuse to update the browser because they say it poses 'security risks'... Will us call-center employees be blocked from PhoneScoop, or can we plan on still having basic forum access?
retrocool

Jun 8, 2010, 6:48 PM
IT has always said and will always say that newer versions of software pose security risks.

Yeah.

Risks to their overpaid jobs.

It's just BS they claim in order to justify gigantic software migration costs later on.

Trust me. I've been part of IT when it comes to these things. That's the reason.
Amarantamin

Jun 8, 2010, 8:19 PM
Yeah, I know their games... ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
Rich Brome

Jun 17, 2010, 12:01 AM
Staying with IE6 poses huge security risks, and that's according to Microsoft.
RavenSkyhawk

Jun 17, 2010, 2:03 PM
So when is our last day? Soon? The suspense is killing me! ๐Ÿ˜•
Rich Brome

Jun 17, 2010, 2:05 PM
It will be a while. A couple of months, most likely. I want to give people plenty of notice and time to prepare.
RavenSkyhawk

Jun 17, 2010, 2:28 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I can talk sprint into updating their systems by then, or maybe not.
BIG_ERN23

Jun 8, 2010, 6:13 PM
if i lose phonescoop around here and many many others, it might just drive me out of this building ๐Ÿ˜ข its the only thing we have to keep our day moving along please please please keep ps alive for us reps!!! โ˜น๏ธ
Pastey

Jul 5, 2010, 9:12 PM
wow !!!! ๐Ÿคฃ
furl23rd

Jun 8, 2010, 6:19 PM
or i will have to find away to send you a virus ๐Ÿ‘ฟ no im just playin but help! you cant do this to us โ˜น๏ธ
NEPats726420

Jun 8, 2010, 6:26 PM
DITTO
Dread_99

Jun 10, 2010, 1:44 PM
Same here!
RavenSkyhawk

Jun 8, 2010, 6:58 PM
having read your reply here rich:

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

could this be an evil plot to lose your forum base to promote a product that you or your company isn't necessarily promoting? ๐Ÿคจ

Or do you really hate us and finally found a broad sweeping way to take out the trash ๐Ÿ˜ข
Thefireballkid

Jun 8, 2010, 10:25 PM
im not having the problem, but if all of these people cant login anymore, i will be a sad panda.
Avaya

Jun 9, 2010, 4:04 PM
come to Jamaican...its great here... ๐Ÿ˜
thejuror

Jun 11, 2010, 2:07 PM
This is goodbye. ๐Ÿ˜ข
ATTDRONEV2.5

Jun 13, 2010, 7:38 AM
PHONESCOOP.COM

A Website where we in the wireless phonebiz can seek refuge from the crazies

(except for the 3 that guessed the secret pw)

and gain knowledge from the experts

(and then correct them)

if you dont have a mobile browser that can render the reg site please leave and go back to the 20th century

that or upload an ie6 virus the crashes the system then they will have to upgrade tell rich made you do it ๐Ÿ˜›
PHONESCOOP LORD

Jun 17, 2010, 2:42 PM
well i guess i will say goodbye to phonescoop
Rich Brome

Jun 17, 2010, 2:57 PM
Internet Explorer 6 is an ancient, bug-ridden browser that doesn't support modern web standards. It doesn't support a lot of the useful things we'd like to add to the site, and working to support IE6 takes valuable resources away from moving forward with new site features.

The last time I did a redesign of this site, I spent half of my time on the new design and layout, and then half of my time going back to make it work it in IE6. It was a nightmare.

IE6 has been replaced by IE7 and IE8, both of which are fine. Even Microsoft recommends that everyone ditch IE6 and upgrade. IE6 is no longer supported and is therefore a security risk for any individual or company using it.

Many major sites like Facebook and YouTube have already dropp...
(continues)
NEPats726420

Jun 17, 2010, 4:24 PM
Rich Brome said:
although I'm afraid that one of those options may be to block IE6 entirely.

if thats the case shoot me now lol
Amarantamin

Jun 20, 2010, 3:15 PM
Sadness... Our IT department is so stubborn.

Thanks for being straight about it, Rich. ๐Ÿ™‚
Da_Bonehead

Jun 23, 2010, 11:18 AM
Same here. Our IS department does not see the point in updating to IE8 from 6 when it works just fine.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.