Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 14 replies

Site Update

Rich Brome

Nov 10, 2007, 12:06 PM
We've just launched a minor refresh of the site layout, plus some changes to how we present news items.

The most obvious change is that the blue bar on the left doesn't go all the way down. We've changed the look on the left to provide greater visual clarity between the main navigation, page actions, and the other site links below that.

At the same time, we've replaced the "Email" page action with "Share", which gives you some additional options, including Facebook. We're also moving RSS feeds into this box on pages that have feeds, and calling that "Subscribe" now.

We also tweaked the Log In area in a few ways. Now you can log in without leaving the page. We also removed the "Welcome back (Joe Shmoe)" text. As much as we want to be...
(continues)
foxiangel5

Nov 10, 2007, 12:32 PM
the pages seem to be loading slower to me.
Lapdog

Nov 10, 2007, 1:55 PM
Initially, I like. Time will tell.
Wireless Buddy

Nov 10, 2007, 2:15 PM
Hey Rich. Nice job on the site, it looks even better now. Here's one little problem with the site, though.

When I'm using my PDA phone with Pocket Internet Explorer, I frequently get error messages that require me to start over (reload). It says something about the page not being displayed.

Anybody else get this problem.

PS It also does that on Picsel Browser.
Rich Brome

Nov 10, 2007, 2:45 PM
Is this a new issue, or something that was happening before?
Wireless Buddy

Nov 10, 2007, 4:25 PM
Yeah, it's been happening for a while.
Rich Brome

Nov 10, 2007, 4:32 PM
There are some additional changes planned for the near future that may fix it. If it still doesn't work after that, I'll dig deeper.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention!
crackberry

Nov 10, 2007, 2:29 PM
i really like the share links...
Eric Lin

Nov 10, 2007, 4:13 PM
one more thing is being updated. but it's so minor that no one should care. still i'm posting here to test it.
crackberry

Nov 10, 2007, 4:53 PM
Eric Lin said:
one more thing is being updated. but it's so minor that no one should care. still i'm posting here to test it.

looks like a test of moderator gravatar removal?
Lederhosen19

Nov 10, 2007, 9:46 PM
I like the changes, they give a new look to phonescoop. Great job guys! 🙂
robtheman

Nov 12, 2007, 9:31 PM
Removing the blue bar on the left made those links hard to read. The ones that say:

Site Tools
Advertising
About Us
Contact Us
Privacy Policy
Terms of Use

The grey on grey doesn't make much sense to me. I think the blue link (like Share and Print) would be much easier to read.

Just a thought.
Rich Brome

Nov 12, 2007, 9:50 PM
It's dark grey on a very light grey... is it really difficult to read?

It is intentional that they "stand out" less then the links above them. Part of what I didn't like about the old nav bar was that the main nav links had almost as much visual prominence as the secondary links. Now the secondary links... look like secondary links, IMHO. They're the type of links that most sites put in fine print at the bottom. We don't make them that hard to find, but we don't people to mistake them for main navigation, either.
robtheman

Nov 12, 2007, 10:15 PM
Maybe you could make it a darker grey or something. It's hard for me to read, but that may be a side effect of my LCD monitor too.
crackberry

Nov 13, 2007, 10:35 AM
Rich Brome said:
It is intentional that they "stand out" less then the links above them. Part of what I didn't like about the old nav bar was that the main nav links had almost as much visual prominence as the secondary links. Now the secondary links... look like secondary links, IMHO.

It looks good! A little more 2.0 🙂

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.