Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 32 replies

Out of curiosity

foxiangel5

Sep 14, 2007, 1:40 PM
is there a way to set up the forums so that i dont have to continually click on the message to read it? its a pain in the butt to read long threads and keep up when i have to keep clicking on the original message to get back to my place. do you have any idea what i mean? and is there an easier way to do it? my computer at work is really slow and it sometimes locks up when im going to the next message. the chat room idea was cool i think!
Rich Brome

Sep 19, 2007, 1:08 AM
That's definitely on our to-do list.

I know having to load a new page for each and every message sucks and everyone hates it. I hate it too. 😡 We have a plan to address that.

I wish I could say it was next on the to-do list, but there are a few things ahead of it that are more important for us, most of which you might like even better. 😉

PS: it helps people navigating the forums when you use a descriptive subject line so they know the gist of what you're saying before they click and wait for a new page to load. "Out of curiosity" isn't a very descriptive subject line.
ErikaMarie

Sep 21, 2007, 11:07 PM
I mentioned a long time ago about having a phpbb or similar forum instead & y'all scolded me saying no way, this is how y'all like it, & this is how it would stay.

IMHO, it's horribly difficult to follow along in conversations w/ this type of forum.
foxiangel5

Sep 22, 2007, 9:43 AM
Agreed! thats why i just ask you guys to catch me up! 🙂
Rich Brome

Sep 22, 2007, 11:52 AM
"Scolded"? Aww, we're not really that mean, are we? ☚ī¸

Well, the structure do we like, yes, but we're in total agreement with everyone that it's a royal pain in the rear to have to load a new page for each message, and that's something we do plan to address.
ac4321

Oct 3, 2007, 10:06 PM
"I wish I could say it was next on the to-do list, but there are a few things ahead of it that are more important for us, most of which you might like even better."

Installing a more robust forum system takes a very short time. Bridging a CMS with common forum systems takes just a while longer.

I joined years ago and gave up because of the how posts are displayed, hoping that the site would eventually change to a common and easy to use forum system. I rejoined because it's one of the few white listed sites at my work.

You might find that people post more on sites that are easy to use. More posts= more ads displayed= more revenue...
😛
Rich Brome

Oct 3, 2007, 10:51 PM
ac4321 said:
You might find that people post more on sites that are easy to use. More posts= more ads displayed= more revenue...

It doesn't quite work that way. ☚ī¸

If anything, forums are major drain on revenue. It requires a large amount of overhead to serve and moderate them, and in return we get very low CTR (ad Click-Through Rate,) which means we can't actually sell any forum page impressions at all to our key advertisers.

Forum traffic is so dismal from an ad/business perspective that we have to separate it out completely and only show ads on those pages that are performance-based (CPC and CPA). If you haven't noticed, the ads you see on any forum pages are completely and totally differ...
(continues)
StoreLead

Sep 20, 2007, 8:35 PM
try using the 'back' button on your browser. your computer will cache the previous pages that you've been on, so getting back to the previous/first message is alot faster than having to click on the link, and reload the page.

this is a great idea though! if maybe the threads collapsed, instead of being a seperate link. something like how GMail threads their e-mails or something?
foxiangel5

Sep 21, 2007, 2:05 PM
im firewalled, i dont have a navigation bar ☚ī¸ i cant only load pages...if i want to go back there has to be a link 😡
Lapdog

Sep 21, 2007, 6:16 PM
top bar...View...toolbars...Standard Buttons checked..then you'll get a "back" button...
foxiangel5

Sep 22, 2007, 9:40 AM
no i dotn have a tool bar
mooiscoow

Sep 22, 2007, 12:01 PM
Right click the address bar?
foxiangel5

Sep 22, 2007, 3:17 PM
no address bar
bheiman

Sep 25, 2007, 10:54 PM
press alt and the back arrow

😁
Rich Brome

Sep 21, 2007, 7:00 PM
Have you tried using the backspace key on your keyboard? That should work.
Guy Montag

Sep 21, 2007, 9:45 PM
Or alt and the Back Arrow on her direction pad.
ErikaMarie

Sep 21, 2007, 11:08 PM
not that any of these suggestions aren't tedious.
newfette

Sep 26, 2007, 7:53 AM
so rich should change the whole forum because you're fire walled??

I like that threads can go in different directions now.. the other forum I frequent has all the responses all on the same page and if there are more then one person involved you get a lot of quote boxes and its a pain in the butt
robtheman

Sep 26, 2007, 10:43 AM
We get a lot of quote boxes here too.
newfette

Sep 26, 2007, 12:41 PM
yeah but thats mostly cause you guys like to make pyrimids
robtheman

Sep 26, 2007, 10:36 PM
newfette said:
yeah but thats mostly cause you guys like to make pyrimids
newfette

Sep 27, 2007, 9:36 AM
đŸ¤Ŗ
ac4321

Oct 3, 2007, 10:08 PM
No, he should change it because it's annoying to see only one post at a time. Other forum systems display fifteen or twenty, making it less tedious.

Plus, it's easier to follow threads with quotes rather than some obscure map that you have to line up to make sure you're replying to the right one.
newfette

Oct 4, 2007, 9:00 AM
funny I've been here for years and have never once had a problem with understanding things...

maybe it's a user issue and not a site issue... have you tried changing how you view the forum?
ac4321

Oct 4, 2007, 10:00 AM
That's like saying a person on a horse racing a car is a user issue. It's not a user issue, jut an antiquated method.

It's not an issue understanding things, just that it is annoying and takes longer to navigate than it reasonably should given available forum platforms.
newfette

Oct 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
all Im saying is not everyone hates it..

I frequent other forums and I actually like this format better

if everyone is allowed to complain about how they hate it i should be allowed to defend something i like!
ac4321

Oct 4, 2007, 11:59 AM
I took no issue with someone else liking it. I did, however take issue with the following:

"funny I've been here for years and have never once had a problem with understanding things..."

That implied a lack of capacity to understand. Like yourself, I was expressing an opinion on the usability of it. However, I did so without questioning the intellect of those that had a different viewpoint. No matter though, matter is dropped as the admin has posted his reply to my other message within the thread.
newfette

Oct 4, 2007, 1:39 PM
hey simmer down sparky..

I'm just saying people in the past have had trouble understand the froum and didn't know you could hange how you view it.. gees
robtheman

Oct 5, 2007, 2:43 PM
His name is ac4321, not sparky. Are you sure you don't have him confused with someone else?
ZombieJ

Oct 5, 2007, 7:34 PM
You're right but it's not going to change becasue the mods like this format better.
foxiangel5

Sep 22, 2007, 9:42 AM
that makes my life easier! still wish we didnt have to open a new window to read messages. but at least now, i dont have to look for a link! thank you!!
bheiman

Sep 25, 2007, 10:55 PM
also try f11 sometimes that changed so you have arrows

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.