This replaces the USENET news groups that were available here previously. There is a long list of reasons why I decided to switch to a dedicated forum system. It boils down to two main things, though:
- As is the nature of USENET, they were unmoderated. Several of the groups had devolved into troll havens, and I was powerless to do anything about it. The new forums will allow me (and eventually a team of moderators) to make sure the discussion stays civilized.
- USENET is an ancient technology. It is severely limited and flawed compared to today's modern web message boards. The new forums are much more powerful and flexible, and provide much greater privacy protection.
For more reasons, here is the complete list:
The new forums have a lot of cool features. First of all, they're everywhere! There are all of the typical groups, integrated seamlessly throughout the site, but there also are dedicated forums for each and every phone! Plus you can discuss each news brief posted on the front page.
Other neat features include emoticons, spell checking, HTML formatting, and optional email notification when someone replies to your messages.
Things I will be adding soon:
- "report this message to moderator" links.
- A button to preview your message before posting it.
- Image attachments.
The first two should be added very soon; image attachments will come later.
Hopefully we can build a strong community here. Of course, I'll need your help. Please take a moment to browse around and join or start a discussion.
As always, I'm open to feedback and suggestions, and now there's a dedicated forum (this one) just for that kind of discussion. Please let me know what you think and how it can be improved. Thanks!
- Re: Welcome to the new forums! by Rich Brome
- Re: Welcome to the new forums! by momcat1
- Re: Welcome to the new forums! by Myth
- Re: Welcome to the new forums! by s_strosberg
- Re: Welcome to the new forums! by wb
- Re: Welcome to the new forums! by filabeaner
- Re: Welcome to the new forums! by Rebguy