Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 17 replies

Forums

morpheus83

Dec 25, 2003, 3:36 AM
Rich,
You have got a great site and active forums also. However I would like to suggest that your forums are little time consuming to use. For eg - All the replies to a thread are not displayed on one page we have to go through the page and one can find only the replies which are current. You can use Phpbb forums or Invision forums also. They are quiet popular and easy to use.

No offence rich 😁
Rich Brome

Dec 25, 2003, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I know it's a little more time-consuming, but it was an intentional choice to do it this way.

The main reason is the hierarchical, or "tree" structure, where each message either starts a thread or is a reply to one specific other message. It allows active threads to split off into multiple tangents and still make sense. With a linear format, (like most other forum systems,) when several issues are being discussed at once, it gets confusing quickly and it's sometimes hard to tell who's replying to what.

So with this structure, multiple messages per page gets very tricky quickly. There are ways to do it, but they tend to be much harder to understand and use.

There are other reasons, too. Originally, I didn'...
(continues)
morpheus83

Dec 26, 2003, 12:03 AM
Thanks for your reply. There is one more thing I would like to point out. Even if I am logged in it says login to reply to this message, then I have to enter my password again. As in the left column it says logged in as Morpheus83. Yes I like the Howardforums website and also mobile burn forums. It is quiet impressive that you alone are handling such a large website.
Best of Luck and Wish you a very happy and a prosperous new year. 😁
Rich Brome

Dec 26, 2003, 1:32 PM
morpheus83 said:
... Even if I am logged in it says login to reply to this message, then I have to enter my password again. As in the left column it says logged in as Morpheus83. ...

Hmm - it shouldn't do that. ☚ī¸ What browser are you using? Do you have cookies enabled?

Are you sure you are actually logged in when that happens? It will say "Welcome back (username)" whenever you come back to the site, but you aren't actually logged in until it says "logged in as (username)".
morpheus83

Dec 27, 2003, 12:10 AM
I am using IE 6 on Windows XP Prof. Cookies are enabled as other sites dont have this problem. Also if cookies were disabled it would not show Welcome back (Username). I have also taken a screenshot but there was no option to upload images. I think you should check this out on some other computer.
Rich Brome

Dec 29, 2003, 11:31 PM
Hmm - that's really weird. I'm also using IE 6 and WinXP. I've also tested it on several other PCs, and never seen that behavior.

Anyone else have this happen? ☚ī¸
mright123

Jan 2, 2004, 6:03 PM
Mine does that too. Using Windows 2000 and IE 5.5 at work and it does this.

But when I am at home: XP with IE 6.0 I also have this problem.
Rich Brome

Jan 2, 2004, 8:13 PM
Are you sure you're actually logged in? If it says "welcome back..." and "Log In", then you are not logged in. You are only logged in when it says "logged in as:...".

Your login session expires when you close your browser or don't load a new page for 20 minutes or more. It's normal to have to log in each time you visit the site.
mright123

Jan 2, 2004, 8:41 PM
It says "logged in as" Then it says "Your Account" and "Log In".

But it still lets me write messages to the forum.
Rich Brome

Jan 2, 2004, 8:44 PM
Okay - that sounds normal. You're logged in and you can post. Perhaps I misunderstood - what's the problem again?
mright123

Jan 2, 2004, 8:45 PM
I am saying that it ALWAYS asks me to log in.
Rich Brome

Jan 2, 2004, 8:47 PM
It should ask you to log in each time you visit the site, or if you haven't loaded a new page for 20 minutes or more - that's normal.
mright123

Jan 2, 2004, 8:50 PM
Even when replying to messages such as now it shows me logged in but it gives an area that says "log in" but I am already logged in because if I were not I could not post, right?
Rich Brome

Jan 2, 2004, 8:55 PM
mright123 said:
...but it gives an area that says "log in" ...

Where?

morpheus83 started this thread talking about not being able to reply to messages without logging in, but it sounds like you're talking about something different...
Rich Brome

Jan 2, 2004, 8:48 PM
mright123 said:
It says "logged in as" Then it says "Your Account" and "Log In". ...

Wait - you meant "Log Out", right?
mright123

Jan 2, 2004, 9:32 PM
morpheus83 said:
Thanks for your reply. There is one more thing I would like to point out. Even if I am logged in it says login to reply to this message, then I have to enter my password again. As in the left column it says logged in as Morpheus83. Yes I like the Howardforums website and also mobile burn forums. It is quiet impressive that you alone are handling such a large website.
Best of Luck and Wish you a very happy and a prosperous new year. 😁

This is what I am referring to. He states that exact same problem that I am having.
Rich Brome

Jan 2, 2004, 10:11 PM
That totally conflicts with what you said. I'm very confused now... 😕

What should happen is:

1. You come to the site for the first time that day. It says "welcome back, mright123! Log In" in the blue bar on the left. (You don't log in yet.)

2. You go to a message in the forums. The text in the left bar is the same, and at the bottom, it says "Log In to reply to this message.".

3. You click the "Log In" link, enter your password, and click the "Log In" button. It takes you back to the message you were looking at, but now it says "logged in as: mright123 Your Account Log Out" in the blue bar on the left, and there's a form at the bottom to reply to the message.

4. You remain logged in and are not prompted to log in agai...
(continues)
Big Poppa

Dec 27, 2003, 11:35 AM
Use the change View options, you can make everything go into a heirarchy style thread for each new thread started. also you can choose to have the newest replied to thread show at the top, so you can tell which threads have basically become inactive.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.