Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 12 replies

What about user moderation?

wombough

Jan 26, 2007, 3:12 PM
Were you set up a scoring system that other users rate a post. And the lower your user rating goes it is automatically censored and you have to take an extra step to read it. Something like packing.org has done in their forum. Also from what I read (Court rulings) a moderated forum like this the webmaster or site owner can be held liable in civil court for a slandering post. Just a thought.
Foamy

Jan 26, 2007, 3:28 PM
A novel idea, however, I don't believe it will work. If you've been on this site for longer than 3 hours you'll undoubtedly notice a plethora of childish and immature people. A ranking system would only allow them more kindling for the fire-starters that they are.

Just my opinion, but I believe you would create a hellstorm by implementing a ranking system, regardless of it's intent.
everman

Jan 26, 2007, 3:49 PM
You get a ranking of 0 punk!!! 😈
wombough

Jan 26, 2007, 4:13 PM
I see your point however the ones that fall to a certain level their post wouldn't even show unless you click and lowered your threshold to see them. And you could even ban those that continually get rated a troll!
Foamy

Jan 26, 2007, 5:50 PM
My point is that the trolls will be the ones using the system the most, ranking down the people that they disagree with solely because they have differing views. Or just to piss that person off.
wombough

Jan 26, 2007, 5:57 PM
But the others out number the trolls by a good bit. Was just a suggestion. I have seen it work pretty good so that was the reason for the suggestion!
Foamy

Jan 26, 2007, 6:02 PM
I'm not knocking the suggestion. Just giving my opinion on why I don't believe it would work as intended. Thanks all.
wombough

Jan 26, 2007, 6:26 PM
oh I didn't take it as a knock. No prob!
captainplooky

Jan 26, 2007, 4:10 PM
Argument from adverse consequences (putting pressure on the decision maker by pointing out dire consequences of an "unfavourable" decision).

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »
Rich Brome

Jan 26, 2007, 5:06 PM
The problem is that a lot of people would try to use such a system to mod down posts they merely disagree with.

We do have the "report to moderator" link right below each message, and we encourage everyone to use that. With hundreds of forums and some of them too active for us to keep up with ourselves, we do rely on users to report inappropriate messages to us.

However, for the reason above, we find it necessary to have that intermediate page explaining what qualifies as "inappropriate", and we also find it necessary to make the final call ourselves to insure the moderation is fair and unbiased.
Rich Brome

Jan 26, 2007, 5:20 PM
-2 points for using a gun site as your example.

kidding 😛
wombough

Jan 26, 2007, 5:23 PM
🤣
Phones aren't my only intrest. 🤣 🤣
katrina

Jan 27, 2007, 4:24 PM
FWIW I think the current system works just fine and would work even better if people could resist the urge to reply to dumb posts just to tell the person that they are dumb.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.