Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 33 replies

N80 giveaway update

eric Lin

Aug 9, 2006, 2:15 PM
neither winners #1 or #2 responded to our emails. so we are choosing a third winner. we have not waited for a winner to be declared to start our second giveaway.

we cannot stress this enough, and we were sure to make it very clear in the new rules for the second giveaway - we will only contact you by email. if your email address is not current in Your Account > Account, please update it.
ondisplay

Aug 9, 2006, 2:18 PM
๐Ÿ˜
eric Lin

Aug 9, 2006, 3:03 PM
we've been allowing people 48 hours. in our next giveaway and those that follow we will allow you 24.
krickt

Aug 9, 2006, 2:18 PM
I'm gonna go check, right now!
k
krickt

Aug 9, 2006, 2:23 PM
I didn't win! Darn!
krickt

Aug 9, 2006, 2:25 PM
That has got to be so annoying! I'm so sorry you guys were just trying to be nice, and now have this headache! If third time is not a charm, please pick me!
MeatballzNGravy

Aug 9, 2006, 2:46 PM
I just say we play paper scissors rocks for it ๐Ÿ˜
krickt

Aug 10, 2006, 4:38 PM
That works for me. Since the phone may as well be a rock for me, I'll let you have it.
robbied

Aug 9, 2006, 3:17 PM
I WANT THIS PHONE!
eric Lin

Aug 9, 2006, 3:18 PM
congratulations to chiquita22 who responded in less than 30 minutes being notified she was the winner. she is now the proud mama of bouncing baby NSeries.

if you didn't win this time, there are still 4 more weeks and 4 more chances.
Protege

Aug 9, 2006, 4:05 PM
chiquita22?

๐Ÿคจ

Congrats!!!
captainplooky

Aug 9, 2006, 5:19 PM
You don't know Chiquita22?

I don't know how that is possible, considering she only created a user to log in to register for the contest and has not posted anything other then her entry in the contest.

Eric and Rich, free phones giveaways are nice and good for advertising, but you might wanna set up some more conditions to prevent the "casual" surfer from bouncing to the site and winning, as opposed to the people who actually promote and contribute to the site.

Of course, I guess that all revolves around what you actually want to accomplish with these contests.
deeterman

Aug 9, 2006, 5:20 PM
oh plooky
captainplooky

Aug 9, 2006, 5:24 PM
Oh what?

Gee, it's not like someone couldn't go to the library (hell there are easier ways) and create multiple user names and enter multiple times with distinct IP addresses.

Look through the most contest again, and tell me how many new accounts you see and how many of those new accounts ONLY post is in the contest.

But it's like I said, I do not know what they hope to accomplish with these contests. I just think allowing users to create a login the day or day after the contest is announced and allowing them to enter is a bit foolish.
everman

Aug 9, 2006, 5:35 PM
I agree with plooky. And now I have to go throw up.
captainplooky

Aug 9, 2006, 5:46 PM
๐Ÿคฃ
eric Lin

Aug 9, 2006, 6:00 PM
plooky and others who are concerned :

chiquita22 won this contest fair and square. it's true that she has never posted here before and only joined to win, but isn't that fantastic? someone actually joined the ranks of the phonescoop ellite and won a phone, which we hope will keep her coming back here to discuss it, ask questions and participate.

we perform a number of checks (not just ip addresses) to be sure that members are not entering under duplicate user names. we obviously will not detail all of them here because that would reveal how to cheat our system. it is unfair to both chiquita and to the credibility of phone scoop to accuse her of cheating. there was no foul play as far as we can tell.

upon learning she had won, chiqui...
(continues)
captainplooky

Aug 9, 2006, 6:11 PM
I never accused her of cheating and am sure you all try to prevent such actions, but am also fairly sure, that you are unable to completely eliminate it.

I appreciate the fact that you have these contests, just thought I would add my opinion, which I am fairly sure has occurred to others who are unwilling to vocalize it.

Someone actually joined the ranks of the phonescoop ellite and won a phone, which we hope will keep her coming back here to discuss it, ask questions and participate.

I seriously doubt it, though could be mistaken. I hold my own pie in the sky ideas though, so I can understand your own.

Of course, locating winners of former contests is quite difficult with the threads removed (as f...
(continues)
speed demon

Aug 9, 2006, 8:03 PM
are you 12?

suck it up and stop being such a sore loser
everman

Aug 9, 2006, 8:07 PM
I agree with that too.
captainplooky

Aug 9, 2006, 8:26 PM
Direct me to my entry please ๐Ÿคฃ
krickt

Aug 10, 2006, 4:39 PM
Hey, Hey, Hey, let's not disrespect 12 yos! My 12 yo daughter has more class and respect of person than has been evidenced around here by some.
chainsaw

Aug 9, 2006, 9:39 PM
plooky,
What would be a good thing to try and accomplish with the giveaway?
Rich Brome

Aug 10, 2006, 10:18 AM
Almost half a million people (unique visitors) read Phone Scoop each week.

We have just under 60,000 registered users.

That leaves several hundred thousand people who read the site regularly but don't have accounts yet.

Is it so hard to believe some of them might see a giveaway and decide to register? Given the numbers, that actually very likely.

As for our motives... We have a pile of phones that we received for free. We have a policy of not accepting phones as gifts (since we also review phones and don't need the grief of someone accusing us of being biased / influenced.) Therefore we pass on these free phones directly to you guys.

Hopefully that helps a few people feel good about Phone Scoop, and feel good about reco...
(continues)
sowhatsowhat10

Aug 9, 2006, 8:00 PM
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

just kidding.

congrats to her. i hope she uses it to its fullest.
GodHatesMe

Aug 9, 2006, 8:29 PM
Seriously though, grow up. I joined this website on August 2nd. Are you going to cry if I win the next phone?
katman_blue

Aug 9, 2006, 8:39 PM
It's good to know theres a number of checks done...because I didnt mention anything to my coworkers about the contest. As far as I know I'm the only member of the forums here at work. I'm fairly certain the IP addresses are the same for each computer here at the store and I didnt want that to compromise my chances. And me, being the selfish person that I am ๐Ÿ™‚ ... I didn't mention the contest to them. Is it safe to assume that if I tell my coworkers about it, we will not be eliminated from contention for having the same IP address? The email address on each account will be different..and it wont be a yahoo.com or anything...It will have the stores name preceding the .com
MeatballzNGravy

Aug 10, 2006, 5:09 PM
Yeah Go Team Go, They are just haters cause they didnt win. Her being new was just an easier target to attack...... So ANYWAYS, are you ever going to disclose who the 2 wieners, I mean winners were that never responded??
chiquita22

Aug 9, 2006, 10:48 PM
Yes, I am very happy with my win. I'm sorry that some of you aren't happy for me. My husband has been talking about getting a new phone lately and had me come here to read up on it. I was clicking around and noticed this contest and entered. I used the site and will continue to do so. Especially once I get my new phone. ๐Ÿ˜ You know I'll have questions. Plus, now I have to look into getting my husband a new phone. Of course it won't be as cool as mine. ๐Ÿ˜
krickt

Aug 10, 2006, 12:06 PM
Good for you! At least someone won it who can use it. I was just going to sell it on Ebay, since my carrier is CDMA. Don't listen to the whiney babies, they are just jealous.... and vocal. Enjoy your new phone and welcome to phonescoop!
gunny

Aug 9, 2006, 6:25 PM
Lucky Duck happy for you ๐Ÿ™‚
cellular_student

Aug 9, 2006, 10:46 PM
Who were the first two who missed out?
MeatballzNGravy

Aug 10, 2006, 1:44 PM
Who were the 1st two people picked that never claimed it???? ๐Ÿ™„
cellphoneguy

Aug 10, 2006, 2:12 PM
heck ya i wanna kno!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.