Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Anyone else think the format here is archaic?

Wired in Vegas

Jul 9, 2004, 6:06 PM
Seriously guys, take a look at forums across the internet. This place is so convoluted it's near impossible to follow a thread without getting lost at least once!

A simple format change is desperately needed: the first post should have each complete reply posted under it, with the ability to quote an individual if you want to respond specifically to something they posted.

Look at sites like www.AR15.com and try and emulate the format there if you want this board to become anything more than the meager browsing point it is currently.

Please don't take this the wrong way, this is meant to be constructive! 😁
justpeachy

Jul 10, 2004, 10:44 AM
I actually like the format on this site, I find it much easier than, say, Howard forums. I like having everything i chronological order, then I can start reading where I left off the day or two before. Just my opinion.
Rich Brome

Jul 10, 2004, 12:38 PM
First, thanks for the feedback! Always appreciated. 🙂

A few points:

1. This has been discussed here before. Just look down a few threads for previous discussion on this topic.

2. The format here is intentionally different. There are other excellent phone sites that use the "standard" message board software, such as the excellent howardforums.com. The forums on this site would basically be redundant if they weren't different in some way.

3. There are advantages to this system. First and foremost is the hierarchical thread structure. That's the main difference, and all the other differences and trade-offs stem from that. Hierarchical means that each message in a thread is a response to one other specific message, like a "tree". I...
(continues)
schnozejt

Jul 16, 2004, 2:00 AM
I like the format, it's simple yet organized well. It's troublesome to follow other forums, like you said Rich replies become a jumble mees in other forum. The forum you have created Rich is amazing, good job.
Rich Brome

Jul 16, 2004, 8:51 AM
Thanks! 🙂
disturbed1

Jul 16, 2004, 9:44 AM
The forum looks great, very neat and organized. I only have one request. I'd love to be able to use italics occasionally. It's really just a personal preference of mine to emphasize words in italics rather than all caps and look like I'm screaming at someone. That's just a minor thing that I can live without if it's too much trouble, it definitely doesn't take away from the wonderful forum you have built here. GREAT WORK!!
Rich Brome

Jul 16, 2004, 9:59 AM
You can. HTML is allowed - the allowed tags are listed at the bottom.

So for italics, typing <i>this</i> will be shown like this. 🙂

It's educational, too - now you know some HTML! 😉
disturbed1

Jul 20, 2004, 8:24 AM
sweet!!! Thanks for the short lesson
snate

Aug 31, 2004, 2:44 AM
I too would like to say that I like this format. I just think that it might need a little tweaking in order to make it easier for people to all posts in a (sub)thread before reponding.

Here is part of something I posted in the Verizon forum earlier:

Re: Next Gen VZW phones.
by snate Today, 12:32 AM
...message...
PS. This post has reinforced by belief that this forum system is a little wonky. I originally posted at 10:48 am followed with a response by schnozejt at 10:53 am then by VZWguru at 11:04 am. I then responded back to both of them at 1:41 pm. VZWcsr replied, only to schnozejt, at 4:32 pm without appearently seeing the other posts. I am not saying this forum should be changed to be single-threaded but it should
(continues)
snate

Aug 31, 2004, 2:48 AM
Oops.
It should say "make it easier for people to see all posts"

This reminds me, has anyone suggested allowing people to edit their own posts? It might be a good idea although I can see problems with it as well so maybe not.
schnozejt

Sep 8, 2004, 12:34 PM
I don't have any trouble seeing all the info and who i'm responding to. I just use the default viewing setting

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.