Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 6 replies

New forum design!

Rich Brome

Jul 26, 2015, 1:29 PM
As you no doubt noticed, we just launched a major overhaul of our forum & comment system. We're eager to hear your feedback on it.

We had several goals. The first was simply to streamline the flow, making it faster & easier to navigate and post. The old system required a new page load for each message, which was... well, obnoxious. Each thread still lives on its own page, for some specific reasons, but we've managed to cut down on new page loads dramatically, speeding up the experience quite a bit.

Our other goal was to preserve the advantages and uniqueness of our old system, which is a clear, hierarchical thread structure that makes it easy to see who's replying to what. Other systems that show everything at once, on one page, don't...
(continues)
Basket Case

Aug 6, 2015, 10:03 AM
I like the old system better. It could just be that that is what I'm used to, but it seems to be easier to use for me anyway.
Rich Brome

Aug 6, 2015, 10:08 AM
Fair. Could you be any more specific about what you liked or don't like?
Brad K

Aug 19, 2015, 2:26 PM
What I don't like is if you read a long thread then want to check back later for new replies you have to click through a whole lot. Was much easier when you could see the date and time from pretty much all posts on the same screen.
Rich Brome

Aug 28, 2015, 6:46 PM
That's excellent feedback and a valid point.

I've been thinking about this. I don't have a solution yet, but I'm working on it.

Thanks again.
Rich Brome

Aug 31, 2015, 3:28 PM
...I should point out that our primary way of dealing with that issue is email notifications.

If there's a really interesting thread and you want to know when someone adds something, you can subscribe to that thread. The link to subscribe is in the top-right corner of the thread page.

You can also, of course, choose to be notified by email only when someone replies to your message(s). That's a checkbox option any time you post.
Rich Brome

Oct 16, 2015, 2:06 PM
I've made some further tweaks to the system. In response to feedback and observations, "reply" links are now visible in more places, to make it clearer where and how you can reply.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.