Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 23 replies

Unhappy With New Site

SueNY

Oct 19, 2003, 12:12 PM
I will step forward and perhaps be the lone dissenter but I am NOT happy with the site change..before you were unique..you offered something the other phone sites didn't. Now you seem like a HowardForums clone. I also think it was extremely rude and inconsiderate not to at least warm people you were dropping the newsgroups. I come to this site everyday and didn't see an advance notice at all. A 20 minute lag time in posting is NOTHING. If you post via Google it can take up to 24 HOURS-and you have to jump through hoops to register. Before the site change I came here every day to read the news articles and newsgroups. I'm sorry to say I will not be back. Just my opinion-thank you for letting me share it.
Rich Brome

Oct 19, 2003, 3:15 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

I agree that Google Groups is not ideal. For the best access to the news groups, I actually recommend skipping the web altogether and using news reader software such as Outlook Express to view the groups directly.

I also want to just say say that I have specifically tried to NOT be a "HowardForums clone". Not that there's anything wrong with that site - Howard's a great guy - but vBulletin and phpBB sites are everywhere. I wouldn't have a forum at all if it were going to be just like the others.

This is an all-new forum system created from scratch. The main difference is that it's fully threaded. Just like USENET, the messages form a hierarchy, so you can see cl...
(continues)
wldthng842

Oct 23, 2003, 5:20 PM
How do you use outlook express to read the usenet groups?
Rich Brome

Oct 23, 2003, 6:41 PM
First, you need to find out the address of your ISP's news server(s). For example, if you use Earthlink, it would be news.east.earthlink.net or news.west.earthlink.net.

Then, just go into Outlook Express and add a new account. It's just like adding an email account, except you choose "news" instead of "mail" right at the beginning.
wldthng842

Oct 23, 2003, 9:15 PM
Do you know what it is for roadrunner?
Big Poppa

Oct 24, 2003, 1:24 PM
I'm pretty sure Roadrunner has an FAQ on thier site to explain how to setup a news account. Why don't you check thier website, and see. If you can't find it, try contact thier tech support.
qboro

Dec 26, 2006, 2:59 PM
I agree, it distinguishes the site.
Hayate

Dec 26, 2006, 3:52 PM
Oh my god you're necroposting!! Necroposter! You're destorying the forums!
qboro

Dec 26, 2006, 4:53 PM
Really?

😈
katrina

Dec 26, 2006, 6:21 PM
ROFL
Hayate

Dec 26, 2006, 9:51 PM
Dude! Necroposting is like the worst thing you can do! It's ruining this forum. It makes me not want to even come back to the site because now I have to read the little date next to the post to make sure I should read it. Man, if you want to keep the wellbeing of the forums in mind, you would just copy and paste the contents of the post into a completely new post so it would be new. Then it wouldn't hurt anyone. I hate you!!
qboro

Dec 27, 2006, 10:20 AM
I know, I'm a vile human being.
qboro

Dec 28, 2006, 8:32 AM
BTW, nice work in the lounge
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣
Wireless Buddy

Dec 26, 2006, 5:25 PM
I tried making my own forum site using MS frontpage but it didn't work. what software did you use to make yours? or did you do it all with HTML script?
katrina

Dec 26, 2006, 6:18 PM
LOL if you want easy to set up forums try PHPBB
Wireless Buddy

Dec 26, 2006, 6:25 PM
how would you do that? what is the website? thanks
katrina

Dec 26, 2006, 6:32 PM
http://www.phpbb.com »

Not to sound like a bia, but if you intend to run a successfull forum you need to be a little more resourceful, self-directed and self-motivated... you could have found it by typing phpbb into google...
I think yabbers.com offers hosting of pre-setup phpBB systems, you may want to look into that.
bLaKe3595

Oct 20, 2003, 4:48 PM
Yes he is right. They also got rid of the compare feature that I always used because I am deciding what phone I am getting in the near future.
Rich Brome

Oct 20, 2003, 11:24 PM
The compare feature will be returning shortly. I sincerely apologize for the lack of such a function in the meantime. It wasn't until just before launch that I realized I hadn't yet ported that feature to the new site. I am working on it.
ceo2010

Oct 21, 2003, 8:04 AM
I like the sites new look. I think it is a nice change. I would have to agree though; the compare feature has been useful in the past, but I haven't used it enough to worry, so it is a non-issue for me.

As far as the forums go, not to impressed so far, but it only has been a couple of days, so we need to give it time before we jump the gun and rain on the parade. Personally, I will give you (Phonescoop) a couple of weeks before deciding on the forum thing. I check out Hofo anyway.

I still think this is the only place on the net where phone info is kept as current as possible. Thanks a lot Phonescoop, you did and are doing a great job.
p_lane

Oct 24, 2003, 10:44 PM
My question is, if we all bitch and complain, will the old site be returned: I can see advantages to both ways, the old site had much more input, be it what it was--maybe this one will grow, hopefully.

Would be nice to see maybe both of them on this site.
Big Poppa

Oct 25, 2003, 1:23 PM
this has everything the old site has, but the portal to usenet.. Usenet was useless anyways, was nothing but trolls and arguments, and people who change their usenet ID every week to avoid other peoples filters. I enjoy a moderated forum, it keeps idiots out.
TomParker

Oct 27, 2003, 8:10 PM
Actually, I think you are wrong. I did enjoy visiting this site mainly because of the newsgroups. There were jerks, but there are jerks everywhere in life.

Time will tell if this pans our or not.
Big Poppa

Nov 1, 2003, 8:31 AM
Think what you want you man.. I enjoy these forums much more than usenet.. usenet sucks. besides if you wanna use usenet go though outlook or another newsreader program. That way you actually have some funtions like filtering trolls and such.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.