Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 18 replies

PM function request

birdsatemyface

Mar 2, 2009, 3:41 PM
I realize you don't want a ton of messages hanging around on your server, but how about a PM function that doesn't send you an email... Where you can actually check your messages on the site? Maybe they auto delete after a week or a month, or maybe you can only have 100 before you can't get anymore...

It would be nice, me thinks... if you could do that.

Spanx. 🙂
Rich Brome

Mar 2, 2009, 7:22 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's always greatly appreciated.

Basically, some people would prefer to register for Phone Scoop using a temporary email address they don't plan to check ever again. We want to discourage that.

We require an email address when you register for a number of reasons. Even though we allow people to essentially be anonymous, we do require some level of accountability in order to keep things from getting our of hand, and a real email address is part of that. It's important that the email address people submit be one that they'll actually check.

Using email for PMs is one way to encourage that.

However, the main reason I chose email when creating it was because I honestly thought it would be simpler and more con...
(continues)
Crapbag

Mar 2, 2009, 10:46 PM
I agree that it would be redundant and overly complicated. If people are worried about protecting their identity they can just as easily switch their email address to an obscurely named Gmail account like Crapbag@gmail.com. On the flip side, it would be an excuse to log in to the site or remain when no one you care to talk to is on.
birdsatemyface

Mar 3, 2009, 9:37 AM
The identity issue. If you respond back to a PM sent to your email, the other party sees your email address. Because so many people here are because of work, it may discourage them. So, if to combat that, they register another email address, it still creates an issue where they're not really checking that email.

I see what you mean by the emails & PMs, though... I hate it when I get a ton of PMs from people only to have my inbox fill up as well.

Personally, I don't mind responding via my email. I'm not exactly very good at keeping my identity secret, & the only real reason I created this user name & disabled the others was because I didn't want people to be able to search for me here with such ease. Now I suppose they have to wo...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Mar 3, 2009, 9:52 AM
I definitely appreciate the feedback.

I can see how a full "PM system" would allow an extra layer of privacy.
JaydenW

Mar 4, 2009, 11:12 AM
Also, a lot of us are firewalled at work.. so we can't check email anyway until we're already at home.
GraGG

Mar 4, 2009, 4:39 PM
while this site may be all we get, its still not a social site... its a phone one
birdsatemyface

Mar 5, 2009, 9:11 AM
but Rich is well aware that without the social aspect of this site, it would not get the amount of hits as it does.

Hell, I was searching for something for my microbiology class that uses the acronym SIM and typed that into google (with some other words) & a PS thread was the first one that popped up on the list. The forum here makes the site what it is.
Rich Brome

Mar 5, 2009, 5:41 PM
Having a community here is important to the site, yes. Also, having people who work in the industry contribute to our community is a wonderful thing, and we appreciate it. 🙂

However... we make almost no money from the forum pages directly. In fact, they must be specifically excluded from our primary ad inventory.

Also, the people who visit daily because they can't go anywhere else on the web generally spend most of their time "killing time" in the Lounge and Shop Talk forums. That doesn't contribute anything constructive to the community, nor to any of the money-making parts of the site... directly.

But indirectly, having those forums as an outlet keeps the other forums relatively free of off-topic conversations. More impor...
(continues)
GraGG

Mar 5, 2009, 9:33 PM
So basically the same thing i said
birdsatemyface

Mar 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
But nice try. 😉
Crapbag

Mar 5, 2009, 10:32 PM
In example, what pages make money for the site. I'd be happy to make them a part of my daily entrance if I'm currently bypassing them. 🙂
birdsatemyface

Mar 6, 2009, 11:32 AM
Which are available to the top & right of the forums.

Perhaps I am confused.
Rich Brome

Mar 6, 2009, 11:54 AM
Non-forum pages.

I appreciate the desire to help. 🙂 You guys rock.

But honestly, there's nothing special you should do. It's the fact that well over a million people visit every month that makes the site profitable. Unfortunately, what one person out of a million does isn't going to make a big difference.

Not to mention that our ad companies - like most - actively monitor for "fraudulent" views and clicks. Therefore, anything someone might try on a large scale to "help" our ad revenue, could actually hurt us, or at least be caught and zeroed out before we get paid.

Again, we appreciate the thought 🙂 , but the best thing you can do to support us is to simply visit and do what you would normally do.
Crapbag

Mar 6, 2009, 1:05 PM
Fair enough, thanks Rich. Our symbiotic relationship will continue as is then! 🙂
birdsatemyface

Mar 6, 2009, 11:31 AM
I was just making it a point to say how important the forums are to this website. 😛
Rich Brome

Mar 6, 2009, 11:47 AM
I agree. 🙂
Jayshmay

Mar 6, 2009, 11:29 AM
A whole, whole lot of people treat it like a social site. I wish people posted more on the news on the site, especially a couple weeks ago during MWC!
SNIPER

Mar 8, 2009, 11:08 AM
they did, under the MWC threads that PS put on the home page

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.