Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 21 replies

I'm curious to know

KCShadowDragon

Jun 9, 2007, 8:42 PM
I know the internet has a lot of information on various people. I know many regulars here have various other places they frequent... be it Facebook, MyYearbook, LiveJournal, MySpace, whatever...

You can make friends and acquaintances here and you swap info and sign up as friends on these various sites.

With that information available, sometimes the wrong people get a hold of it. No matter how diligent you are, sometimes a creep, jerk, jacka$$ etc get onto your friends list.

This happens. It's a fact of life.

However, when another website PROTECTS the violator there's an issue. If someone has personal information posted on a forum owned, maintained and moderated by a specific person or persons, those operators have a duty ...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jun 9, 2007, 9:32 PM
Our policy is the same as any responsible company that values its customers' (or visitors') privacy. Controversy and scandal involving web companies and privacy is almost universally about companies that don't go far enough to protect privacy. People want to know that their personal information won't be mishandled by the companies they entrust with it, and that has to be a consistent policy or the trust is broken.

No responsible company would do what you're asking.

In a case like this, if an actual crime is being committed, the proper next step is for the victim to contact the police.

We would be more than happy to cooperate with proper authorities conducting a real investigation.

Of course, we don't have much information to begi...
(continues)
ErikaMarie

Jun 9, 2007, 9:55 PM
was their original ID. I have a feeling they have been a regular on the forum... & they're someone I trust. For example... KCShadowDragon... now I am pretty damn sure I know him well enough to not be this person... but if you knew he was... I just don't understand why you wouldn't tell me. I just want to know who I can trust...

& the fact remains that you didn't tell me any of this... instead... you just ignored my requests. Why did Jason have to make it public to get a response?
ErikaMarie

Jun 9, 2007, 10:42 PM
Somebody who is blatantly a troll, & someone who has already been banned.... IS STILL ACTIVE ON THE FORUMS.

Why haven't you banned this guy... for good? What does he have to do to me to get banned? Do I have to show up dead in the morning before anyone gives a crap?
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2007, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure who you mean, but as always, report it and we'll take a look.
paddyoc

Jun 15, 2007, 3:44 PM
Troll: RayCarroll, yellowandblack, RaunchyFarts are the same person.
eric Lin

Jun 16, 2007, 4:46 PM
if you feel any member of the phone scoop forums is specifically trolling or violate our terms of use in any way (including the lounge rules) please report that post to the moderator. we will not remove members from phone scoop simply because other members dislike them.

in addition, black and yellow or raunchy farts have nothing to do with erika's episode.
paddyoc

Jun 16, 2007, 8:28 PM
https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

True, but it was brought up (from my interpretation), and the individual is very offensive. Would you care for me to start a new thread?
bobby botronic

Jun 14, 2007, 11:03 AM
wow could you possibly blow this out of proportion anymore

I doubt it if erika marie is you real name then you are at fault for someone finding out personal stuff about you especially with this as your profile info

www.myspace.com/erikamarie
www.erikamarie.us
24 yrs old
Female
Maryland
Sales Rep (former retention rep)

if I gave a **** I could find out all kinds of stuff about you and post it all over myspace and here and anywhere for that matter

so try not crying so much about it and use some common sense
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2007, 11:16 AM
That's simply not true. We take any issue like this seriously, and we responded promptly to your private emails on the subject. We would never ignore something like this. I responded the same day to your email on this issue on May 31, and Eric Lin sent you an email with his thoughts on the matter the very next day.

As for which ID is also someone else's ID, I simply don't have that info in this case. Please contact us privately if you'd like to discuss that further.
KCShadowDragon

Jun 10, 2007, 12:59 AM
So then...

If I decided to hound someone under an assumed name.

I'd be free to post personal information about them at any time. Even if said person has EXPLICITLY stated they will not reveal this information in such a forum as this.

That is harassment, a violation of your set forth terms of use.

If I made a sexually explicit comment about this person you'd still take no action even tho that too is harassment and a violation of your set forth terms of use.

BOTH of these statements were made by the same person. And apparently you could care less about your visitors privacy. Erika's has been violated, by someone under an assumed name on your boards.

It's completely reasonable for her to ask what their original screen name...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2007, 11:32 AM
No, people are not free to post personal information or otherwise harass other members. Those are violations on the ToU and those messages will be deleted, which may lead to that person being banned.

If a person is banned, that person is banned, not just that username. If it is clear to us that someone we banned has returned under another name and is causing any kind of problems again, they will usually be banned without warning.

I'm afraid I simply don't agree that it's "completely reasonable for her to ask what their original screen name was."

Even if it was, that not necessarily information we have. We wish there were ironclad ways to say person X is also person Y, so we could avoid people abusing multiple us...
(continues)
KCShadowDragon

Jun 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
I know that part of the reason I am being so vocal is because I consider Erika one of my dearest friends. But there is so much more to this issue.

You said:

Rich Brome said:
If a person is banned, that person is banned, not just that username. If it is clear to us that someone we banned has returned under another name and is causing any kind of problems again, they will usually be banned without warning.

However:

Rich Brome said:
Of course, we don't have much information to begin with. An email address is pretty much it - that's all we require to register.

I personally have 2 screen names. One is jkrivjansky my first initial, last name. I don'...
(continues)
Rich Brome

Jun 10, 2007, 3:37 PM
It's not an issue of shortcomings of the forum system. It collects about as much info as is reasonable without invading privacy or installing spyware. The "shortcomings" are in the way Internet works. It allows people to be anonymous if they want and know how. People concerned with privacy consider that a boon, not a shortcoming. We simply accept it as the nature of doing business on the web.

Yes, some people exploit that. We do our best to prevent that kind of exploitation, with every bit of technology that's available, reasonable, and ethical to use.

I understand that sometimes language patterns and personality reveal themselves to those of you that spend all day in the forums. We don't have the kind of free time you guys seem to, so...
(continues)
everman

Jun 16, 2007, 12:34 AM
Rich Brome said:

https://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff= ... »

MotoLuvr said:
Come back, my son. Your legions are embarrassing themselves w/o you!! I need a good mentor to argue/discuss/debate with.

Just use a different computer to initiate the log-on process with. then you can log on from any computer. just think Al, you could come back as any character you wish! A Mormon. A priest. A Canadian. Or ev
(continues)
ArmySF

Jun 11, 2007, 4:46 PM
Take one gigantic step back maybe you can gain some perspective!
bobby botronic

Jun 14, 2007, 11:07 AM
perspective is not in her vocabulary this is the same chick that blew up when someone said she was not hot
expectpwnage

Jun 13, 2007, 5:52 PM
i love the fact that people think information they put up on myspace, facebook, etc. is private.

even if she did have here PUBLIC profile set to private its still on the Public internet.
so don't ever expect any level of privacy.
if it's not something you would want someone to know then don't put it up. regardless if the profile is private or not.

i'm not saying what happened to her was right in anyway, but SHE put that info on there.

KCShadowDragon said:
Even if it means turning over info about someone who has violated someone else's privacy rights.?

i hope you don't honestly think this is the way it works.
beside the fact that PS and its owners could be liable for releasing info like that, ev...
(continues)
razrfreak

Jun 14, 2007, 11:42 AM
yeah... talking about the definition of stalking...

you know someone has a serious internet addiction when they are reporting crimes to forum moderators and not the police.
razrfreak

Jun 14, 2007, 11:39 AM
ok... i dont post much but something i notice about erika is she puts a lot of her information out on the internet.

and like you said there are people on all sorts of other social networking sites. erika puts this stuff out there, the information is only accessible because she puts it there for the world to see. when the wrong person gets a hold of it it is not rich or erics fault that they are not as dilligent as you 2 are demanding.

it is very egotistical to crave that much attention on the web and demand that moderators and owners of every one of those sites protect your personal privacy that, a long time ago, you made public. not private.

rich and eric are not responsible because someone on her facebook is posting her phone num...
(continues)
ZombieJ

Jun 16, 2007, 11:04 AM
Aye. KC is also being a knob.
eric Lin

Jun 16, 2007, 4:50 PM
we do try and at least remove personal contact information when it is posted on these forums. anyone with google can attempt to find that information for themselves, but we try not to make it easy. i have been on both sides of this equation and always appreciate when forum moderators will at least remove posts with personal information.

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.