Phone Scoop

printed July 29, 2015
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/carriers/forum.php?fm=m&ff=1&fh=3249948

Home  ›  Carriers  ›

Sprint

Info & Phones News Reviews › Forum  

all discussions

Get Galaxy S IV or wait for Galaxy Note III?

sunilsonia

Apr 30, 2013, 1:14 PM
What would you all do? I have 2 lines ready to upgrade in July and August (1 each month basically). I am debating whether to go for the Galaxy S IV now or wait for Late Q3 to early Q4 to upgrade to the upcoming Note III? I am currently using a Motorola Photon (NOT THE Q) that I had since December 2011, which IMHO, totally sucks inspite of Moto's decision to treat customers like bastard stepkids and not give them at the minimum ICS for what was a recent phone enough for the timeframe when they were supposed to have updated them to 4.0.x atleast. And please don't anyone jump on here trying to convince me to go Photon Q. Not after this farse they pulled! Hell with Moto!
...
Haggard

Apr 30, 2013, 1:38 PM
Wait until the Note 3 is announced and base your decision on that perhaps?
...
sunilsonia

Apr 30, 2013, 1:43 PM
Haggard said:
Wait until the Note 3 is announced and base your decision on that perhaps?



Ordinarily you'd think but I'm curious as to a case that favors the Galaxy S IV having been released now PRIOR TO the Galaxy Note III. So essentially I'm asking thatwhat is my baseline to compete with when putting the Note III vs this device? I know about the long list of features the Galaxy S IV has but does it live up to the hyp on daily usage? I have the Note II for my Son's line already and love that phone, which is my underlying motivation to wait for the next model.

Makes sense?
...
Haggard

Apr 30, 2013, 3:20 PM
I would only imagine that the Note 3 will have all of those and then some baked into the OS. The S4 you lose half an inch with the current Note, and probably lose more with the Note 3. Plus no S Pen on the S4, if that's useful for you.
...
sunilsonia

Apr 30, 2013, 5:55 PM
Haggard said:
I would only imagine that the Note 3 will have all of those and then some baked into the OS. The S4 you lose half an inch with the current Note, and probably lose more with the Note 3. Plus no S Pen on the S4, if that's useful for you.



So far yes BUT I wanna see more of a usability review from current Galaxy S IV users on Sprint in particular. I want to see if getting this phone would be worth the initial look into and gauge whether these losses in features and functionality will make a difference. I work part time on a Freelance opportunity doing App Testing on Mobile and part of my duties is Bug Triaging, which I'll admit sometimes I might have to perform that task with a sense of mobil...
(continues)
...
explorer

May 26, 2013, 5:59 PM
Get a new carrier unless you have 4G, the best smartphone in the world is a waste on oh boy 3G.
...
gloopey1

May 27, 2013, 11:13 AM
explorer said:
Get a new carrier unless you have 4G, the best smartphone in the world is a waste on oh boy 3G.

Considering the fact most smartphones fail miserably as actual phones, I'd say 3G, 4G, 2G...who cares?

Bulky, easily broken, and screens that are too small to be tablets, they fail as both. My advice: get a small, lightweight phone that the microphone portion actually extends to where your mouth is and a WIFI enabled tablet. You'll save a bundle and have devices that perform well instead of a one size fits all wannabe "smartphone."
...
cellphonesaretools

May 27, 2013, 11:03 PM
gloopey1 said:


Considering the fact most smartphones fail miserably as actual phones, I'd say 3G, 4G, 2G...who cares?

Bulky, easily broken, and screens that are too small to be tablets, they fail as both. My advice: get a small, lightweight phone that the microphone portion actually extends to where your mouth is and a WIFI enabled tablet. You'll save a bundle and have devices that perform well instead of a one size fits all wannabe "smartphone."


I second that advice. The one and only area where our new Torque smartphones are better than our simple old Nextel phones (i580, i365) is in texting. For all other functions, our Nextel Moto's were far better phones, and these smartphone 4" screens are just...
(continues)
...
explorer

May 28, 2013, 10:47 AM
Hey I'm with you on that! Get a standard phone that has good reception and text capable. Now you have decided to buy a smartphone like most of the world, make sure you have a carrier that can support it. I just saying....
...
sunilsonia

May 29, 2013, 5:31 PM
explorer said:
Hey I'm with you on that! Get a standard phone that has good reception and text capable. Now you have decided to buy a smartphone like most of the world, make sure you have a carrier that can support it. I just saying....


Thanks Explorer but I hate to burst your bubble. Sprint DOES HAVE 4G LTE in my neightborhood and YES IT DOES WORK. Already having a Note II, I am using my experience as the proof here. So while I do appreciate your advice, the whole bashing of carriers thing is a bit uncool here. I believe my original question was a decision on phones, not whether to switch or not. Please stay on topic.

Thanks again.
...
sunilsonia

May 29, 2013, 5:35 PM
gloopey1 said:


Considering the fact most smartphones fail miserably as actual phones, I'd say 3G, 4G, 2G...who cares?

Bulky, easily broken, and screens that are too small to be tablets, they fail as both. My advice: get a small, lightweight phone that the microphone portion actually extends to where your mouth is and a WIFI enabled tablet. You'll save a bundle and have devices that perform well instead of a one size fits all wannabe "smartphone."



Actually I both agree as well as disagree here with your advice.

Agree - phone with microphone and wifi should do.

Disagree - Only because I am a Freelance Mobile Apps Tester (Don't get this confused with App Developer folks). I Contract Independe...
(continues)
...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.
1