I'm a representative for one of the major carriers and I had a very peculiar call saturday. Someone called me with an account and phone number that he has had since 2003. He recently discovered that someone went to a sprint store and had recieved his phone number. So as any representative with any amount of common sense, I called sprint. I spent over 30 mins trying to get some type of resolution.
First, I called into sprint care and asked if the number had put in actually did open an account. I didn't ask for any of that customer's information at all. Just to confirm that what my customer was telling me was true. To ease the reps mind I told him that it pulled open an account on my side and that number had existed for a long time. He put ... (continues)
so i certainly understand the problem however this is definately not a normal issue that we all run into with any of our companies. So how would you have handled it differently if the tables were turned? Customer service is easy when you have all the answers but not so much when there is no protocol in place to resolve.
Depending upon whether my company could reach the customer I would alert the person that they need to contact us to get a free number change. Explain the situation briefly, but from my understanding the customer had already alerted the other person that they shared a number. Then I would contact the corporate help desk to get the number removed from the data base of available numbers. Tech is not necessary strictly because their job is to make sure the phones perform correctly. Am I wrong for this?
I am an employee of Sprint and ran into the same issue awhile back, just vice versa. I was baffled at the beginning of the interaction, our customer had that number for several months prior and now it was a Verizon number. I contacted Verizon customer care with the customer in the store, this endless line of transfers lasted over 2 hours because nobody had dealt with this exact situation before and ended at the Verizon port department. I was assured it was a mistake on their part as an error in a port-in process and the problem would be fixed by close of business. I ended up contacting them multiple times over the next several days, in the end our customer decided to just change her number after having these issues for over a week.
I wasn't blaming sprint but this seems to be something that can be handled by anyone. Not just tech. ComPlex problem solving is part of the job and if I didn't have that skill I couldn't have made it through the past week. (it was a really rough week for my cubical)