AT&T to Throttle Heaviest Data Hogs
This is a clear case where the carrier can monitor, track, & measure and inviduals useage of wireless broadband and bill accordingly it is no longer a matter of adding a service order code and having the switch turn on a valve for the subscriber they now have a personally identifyable meter running on every single subscription on the tangable comodity known as mobile broadband. Would not matter if it was free to supply to the end user its a matter of they now know how much is being used and now they can bill for it ergo the caps, throttleing, and tiered pricing.
No single user could possibly use enough to infringe on another subscribers useage nor impact the wireless providers bottom line so much so to warrant the additional charges of approximatley $10 per GB.
The REAL cost of being a wireless provider IS NOT the end users experience and how they utilize their device. Carrier cost are tied up in the following ways but are not limited too
1. Call Center Operations
2. Retail/Repair Center Overhead and Operations
3. New Customer Attainment and Churn Management
4. Devices - This is a BIG ONE, if you think that your Spiffy New PDA cost your Carrier $99.99 or $199.99 or less YOU ARE DEAD WRONG they pay the manufacturers the FULL MSRP that they list and in some cases MORE than what they list and they recoupe their cost by 24 month service agreements with Monthly Reoccuring Charges, and early termination fees in the event you jump ship.
5. Network Maintenence, Development and upgrading.
What and how the end user does with their device does not impact the BIG PICTURE.
There are charging these fees and overages because they can, no other reason.
- Re: Stop the BS and this is the bottom line... Greed by keithfrombm