Phone Scoop

printed September 1, 2015
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?fm=m&ff=6957&fh=2577974

Home  ›  News  ›

Sprint and Clearwire Fight Over Smartphone Finances

Article Comments  

all discussions

So you think you know about data usage...

CamelTowing

Nov 11, 2010, 6:04 PM
http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/071410-sprint- ... »

Is the $10 charge about 4G? Sorta, kinda, but not really?
The average 3G user (ie iPhone, Blackberry, and other smart phone)uses way less than even 2g of data per month. The average 4G user? 7g of data.... and that's the AVERAGE!!! Sprint's attitude has been to let customers run wild on the WIMAX network with no caps and no boundaries. Their 3G/4G modems do not have a 4G limit or a charge for Premium Data. They do however have a 3G limit.
Hmmm.

The Evo and the Epic are 4G devices that easily hit that 7g average. But guess what? As many Sprint detractors have pointed out many times, Sprint's 4G network isn't by any means vast. So what does that mean? Well, it...
(continues)
...
DiamondPro

Nov 11, 2010, 8:01 PM
Wow that's impressive 7gb on average per user. I bet tmobile cant say that about there slower hspa+ network! Laughing

Now that's the power of 4g!
...
bigboii300

Nov 12, 2010, 12:06 AM
Well said, The last nail has been put into the coffin.
...
TDBearCT

Nov 12, 2010, 8:44 AM
Ok, I will admit, that description is the best argument for the $10 premium charge. Good job.

That said, two points:

- Given your reasoning above, all smartphones should be allowed to add $10 Premium Data, so that they can also have unlimited 3G wireless broadband.

- I think you missed something in the article. The average 7Gb was for all Clearwire users. Clearwire is in the fixed and mobile wireless broadband market. Clearwire's "average" user is business people using mobile hotspots or modems, and home and business users using WiMax routers as a replacement for cable or DSL.

In the article, it states that the average Sprint user uses less data than the average Clearwire user. The Evo and Epic are a drop in the bucket compared ...
(continues)
...
CamelTowing

Nov 12, 2010, 9:02 AM
TDBearCT said:
Ok, I will admit, that description is the best argument for the $10 premium charge. Good job.

That said, two points:

- Given your reasoning above, all smartphones should be allowed to add $10 Premium Data, so that they can also have unlimited 3G wireless broadband.

- I think you missed something in the article. The average 7Gb was for all Clearwire users. Clearwire is in the fixed and mobile wireless broadband market. Clearwire's "average" user is business people using mobile hotspots or modems, and home and business users using WiMax routers as a replacement for cable or DSL.

In the article, it states that the average Sprint user uses less data than the average Clearwire user. The Evo and Epic
...
(continues)
...
Mentat

Nov 12, 2010, 9:19 AM
Internal data at AT&T AND both Verizon says that the average user uses 8GB per customer. But, they tell the public that they only use 2GB... to keep investors happy Rolling Eyes Oh and since it was an internal memo you cant disprove me
...
CamelTowing

Nov 12, 2010, 1:25 PM
Mentat said:
Internal data at AT&T AND both Verizon says that the average user uses 8GB per customer. But, they tell the public that they only use 2GB... to keep investors happy Rolling Eyes Oh and since it was an internal memo you cant disprove me



Liars disprove themselves, hater. Laughing
...
DiamondPro

Nov 12, 2010, 3:49 PM
yup they sure do! Laughing Sprint has every reason to charge 10$ more for the Evo and Epic or any other 4g phone in the future not because of the 4g speed alone but the total package. Sprint is still allowing major use in 3g coverage areas and will see a major spike in usage of a Evo or Epic owner vs a hero, pre, or blackberry on there 3g networks some people just dont get this. Rolling Eyes
...
CamelTowing

Nov 12, 2010, 4:49 PM
It's not that they "don't get it"... It's that they don't want to get it.
I swear this whole thread I've felt like I was in a Zombie Apocalypse movie or game and I'm taking on hordes of mindless zombies by myself. At least with you and a couple other guys on here it's more like multiplayer. Cool

On that note, I'm about to hit up COD Black Ops Zombie mode...
...
DiamondPro

Nov 12, 2010, 9:53 PM
Man im on blacks ops 24/7 in fact im waiting to pick up my new 55 inch led tv. I just switched from ps3 to xbox for this game got the new xbox 360 with the 250gb harddrive kinda wanted to get the kenect version but the black ops won't play. I'm always online I'm rank 35. Haven't played zombie mode yet have to try it out tonight on my new big sceen! COD will never look the same. Cool
...
CellStudent

Nov 14, 2010, 2:14 AM
CamelTowing said:
At least with you and a couple other guys on here it's more like multiplayer. Cool


You two should go get a room.

Really.

No.

Really.
...
DiamondPro

Nov 14, 2010, 1:19 PM
You should get a life...

Really

No.

Really. Cool

But that's like asking you to get a better carrier its not gonna happen. Laughing
...
CellStudent

Nov 14, 2010, 4:50 PM
DiamondPro said:
You should get a life...

Really

No.

Really. Cool

But that's like asking you to get a better carrier its not gonna happen. Laughing


Let's get one thing straight here: You are the fanboy and I am the rational scientist that gives credit where it is due for all the good ideas out there regardless of which company is enacting the changes. I say great things about all the carriers when they do something right and I'm not afraid to point out when any carrier does something stupid. I'm equal opportunity.

As for getting a life, I love the one I have. I have an Associates Degree worth more salary in the marketplace than most Bachelor's Degrees. I own a four bedroom home occupied by two ...
(continues)
...
CamelTowing

Nov 14, 2010, 6:06 PM
CellStudent said:


Let's get one thing straight here: You are the fanboy and I am the rational scientist that gives credit where it is due for all the good ideas out there regardless of which company is enacting the changes. I say great things about all the carriers when they do something right and I'm not afraid to point out when any carrier does something stupid. I'm equal opportunity.

As for getting a life, I love the one I have. I have an Associates Degree worth more salary in the marketplace than most Bachelor's Degrees. I own a four bedroom home occupied by two children and a wife whom all love eachother and enjoy life together. I enjoy a solid middle class lifestyle that I wish every American could experience
...
(continues)
...
CellStudent

Nov 14, 2010, 6:24 PM
CamelTowing said:


I doubt you can even TOUCH my Master's Degree... "Mr Science Guy"

I don't want to. I like what I have.
...
CamelTowing

Nov 14, 2010, 7:19 PM
CellStudent said:


I don't want to. I like what I have.



A severe case of mental retardation?
...
CellStudent

Nov 14, 2010, 10:57 PM
CamelTowing said:
A severe case of mental retardation?

1) If, indeed, you do have MSEE with CS from MIT, you should be well aware that no one get's through ODEs, DSP and EMF with a mental problem.

I have.

2) I love my family, and raising two well-adjusted children is worth more than any degree issued from any Ivy League institution I could ever dream of. That's no a disorder, it's a variance in priorities.

3) How could someone as well educated as you claim to be really believe that anything operating under 20 Mbps could be classified as 4G based solely on a reduction on latency?
...
CamelTowing

Nov 15, 2010, 9:11 AM
CellStudent said:


1) If, indeed, you do have MSEE with CS from MIT, you should be well aware that no one get's through ODEs, DSP and EMF with a mental problem.

I have.

2) I love my family, and raising two well-adjusted children is worth more than any degree issued from any Ivy League institution I could ever dream of. That's no a disorder, it's a variance in priorities.

3) How could someone as well educated as you claim to be really believe that anything operating under 20 Mbps could be classified as 4G based solely on a reduction on latency?




Again, your logic is flawed. I claim it's 4G because Wimax and LTE can reach 4G with software upgrades. Tmobile's "4G" will NEVER reach 4G n...
(continues)
...
CellStudent

Nov 14, 2010, 6:36 PM
CamelTowing said:


I doubt you can even TOUCH my Master's Degree... "Mr Science Guy"

What field did you study?
...
CamelTowing

Nov 14, 2010, 7:23 PM
MIT Graduated 2002.
Masters of Engineering in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.
...
CellStudent

Nov 14, 2010, 11:04 PM
CamelTowing said:
MIT Graduated 2002.
Masters of Engineering in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.

Then why are you prancing around here like an agent store commission-only Sprint sales rep calling the rest of the world evil?

You sound more like the type who got out of the local community college with a A.A. in BS than an M.S.E.E.

P.S. One of the technical posts I've made on this board recently has a critical technical flaw in it that I just identified a few days ago and haven't had a chance to type up a redaction yet.

If you really are an MSEE, you should be able to find it very, very quickly and call me out on the floor within the next two days. You up for a challenge?

Game on!
...
CamelTowing

Nov 15, 2010, 9:04 AM
CellStudent said:


Then why are you prancing around here like an agent store commission-only Sprint sales rep calling the rest of the world evil?

You sound more like the type who got out of the local community college with a A.A. in BS than an M.S.E.E.

P.S. One of the technical posts I've made on this board recently has a critical technical flaw in it that I just identified a few days ago and haven't had a chance to type up a redaction yet.

If you really are an MSEE, you should be able to find it very, very quickly and call me out on the floor within the next two days. You up for a challenge?

Game on!



So, in order to prove to you that I have my education, I'm supposed to play "scavenger h...
(continues)
...
DiamondPro

Nov 15, 2010, 1:26 PM
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I almost died laughing reading this response

Yeah he speaks a lot more opinion then truth in his post I'd expect more facts and hard evidence to back up his statements. Instead like you say we get:

Garbage in-

Garbage out-

He is also one of the one who assume LTE is better Than Wimax because of the 700mhz band. So far we still have yet to see this mysterious 4g network thats supposed to bring wimax to its knees. Right now I'm rockin unlimited 4g on my Epic 4g while the big red kool-aid drinkers wait in line. Cool
...
CamelTowing

Nov 14, 2010, 7:32 PM
By the way...
I'm only calling you out on your "science" because you have yet to use any. The scientific method exists for a reason. Your OPINIONS and GUESSES don't mean anything in science! You have yet to make one point that can be attributed to scientific evidence. Everything you have posted in this story's forum has been based on your own opinion OR conjecture about what you think the facts actually mean.

"Garbage in... Garbage out..."

It's one of the first things you learn when following scientific method. Your opinions and biases are leading you to incorrect answers.
...

This forum is closed.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

This forum is closed.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.
2