Phone Scoop

printed August 4, 2015
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?fm=m&ff=2713&fh=1585950

Home  ›  News  ›

C Block Hits $4.6 Billion Reserve, Triggers Open Access

Article Comments  

all discussions

You guys are crazy!

wecivus

Jan 31, 2008, 1:59 PM
The only reason GOOGLE bid at least min. price was to get the open access rules instantiated. Google does not want the spectrum, its not in their business model. They want whoever wins the spectrum to have any application (Google's applications) run on the network. Verizon has access to alot more money than whatever cash they actually have and will be able to get all the spectrum they want.
...
AvgJoe

Jan 31, 2008, 5:16 PM
wecivus said:
The only reason GOOGLE bid at least min. price was to get the open access rules instantiated. Google does not want the spectrum, its not in their business model. They want whoever wins the spectrum to have any application (Google's applications) run on the network. Verizon has access to alot more money than whatever cash they actually have and will be able to get all the spectrum they want.



YOu're kidding right?

Google has the money to "get into the wirelss business" and with internet access being so prominent on phones I don't see this as a huge stretch of their business model at all. In fact I believe it's a logical next step. They have the Internet on land lines now they can cont...
(continues)
...
BigShowJB

Jan 31, 2008, 5:42 PM

Verizon may have to make an offering to raise capital which would piss off their diluted stock holders or go another 10 billion in debt. They simply do not have the money.



so what's the downside?
...
AvgJoe

Jan 31, 2008, 10:04 PM
The downside is that Verizon is used to doing business one way. Closed. I am not sure Verizon wants an open source network. They tried to stop the FCC from going in that direction. It's not their business model.

All things open and internet related is well within Googles business model. I think Google will want to own a piece of the pie which generates a lot of income. There are many many Google fans. The Anti-Microsoft crowd. The anti control everything MAc crowd.

I look forward to a Google wireless model.
...
verizoncdma

Jan 31, 2008, 6:52 PM
please joe will you stop confusing verizon with verizonwireless. we don't have stockholders to piss off we are a private company owned buy verizon and vodaphone. if you look at the 2 diff. company's you see 2 diff. reports. we don't have all that debt verizon does. we have our own president and all that is not part of verizon. so if verizon wireless wanted to spend what every they wanted on the auction then they can, they have the power to do so with out stockholders thats the reason why we are still a private company. we make so much money that vodaphone will not sell there part because it makes them so much money. so please don't confuse the two. i know u don't like vzw but you cant deny that we make more money than any other us carrier.
...
AvgJoe

Jan 31, 2008, 10:13 PM
verizoncdma said:
please joe will you stop confusing verizon with verizonwireless. we don't have stockholders to piss off we are a private company owned buy verizon and vodaphone. if you look at the 2 diff. company's you see 2 diff. reports. we don't have all that debt verizon does. we have our own president and all that is not part of verizon. so if verizon wireless wanted to spend what every they wanted on the auction then they can, they have the power to do so with out stockholders thats the reason why we are still a private company. we make so much money that vodaphone will not sell there part because it makes them so much money. so please don't confuse the two. i know u don't like vzw but you cant deny that we make m
...
(continues)
...
wecivus

Jan 31, 2008, 7:57 PM
To AveJoe,
So you thing GOOGLE wants to build out their own wireless network? That makes about as much since as you sticking your head in the mud. Why would they want to waste soooo much money (Billions!!!) just to build a national network when there are about 3 or 4 already in every market??? They just want their SOFTWARE which is what they do, on all those networks that are already up and running. What are you talking about google having internet on land lines??? I did not know they owned a landline network. Sounds like you dont know what youre talking about.
...
matrix2004

Jan 31, 2008, 10:05 PM
I agree, Google is NOT going to build a network and handsets even if they have the money to own the whole planet's network. They want every phone, computer, toaster, oven to run their software.
...
AvgJoe

Jan 31, 2008, 10:15 PM
matrix2004 said:
I agree, Google is NOT going to build a network and handsets even if they have the money to own the whole planet's network. They want every phone, computer, toaster, oven to run their software.

And what better way to do that then own the wireless spectrum those units will operate on?
...
matrix2004

Jan 31, 2008, 10:39 PM
You're not understanding. Yes it would be great if they owned the spectrum but that's not why they bidded. They just want to open things up and they did that. Now they can start world domination.
...
AvgJoe

Jan 31, 2008, 10:59 PM
matrix2004 said:
You're not understanding. Yes it would be great if they owned the spectrum but that's not why they bidded. They just want to open things up and they did that. Now they can start world domination.


Yeah maybe I am not understanding the big picture as well as insiders. SO you are saying Google just flipped a switch and now will sit back?

They don't want ownership....Just open source spectrum?

SO they can create the open source software and provide it to the cell phone makers who will sell those phones to whomever ends up with the spectrum?

So ATT or Sprint or Verizon or T Mobile can sell those phones and service using current network infrastructure?

Hmmmmmm...
...
bigdaddyjay

Jan 31, 2008, 11:55 PM
Here is the speculation- Prior to VZW releasing intention for open access, Google showed intent to bit on the 700MHz C-Block nationwide license hoping to win the minimum bid and build out or force a major telecom to bid over the reserve price of 4.6 billion which would force open access.
The spectrum covers 22MHz of the 700MHz range and the winning bidder gets the rights for broadcast. That is correct, no towers or infrastructure, they are buying AIR!
Many are saying Google wants the spectrum open and would bid the 4.6 billion so that someone else would bid more and be required to allow any device on the network. You could buy a Google phone from Google or a John Deere phone from John Deere if produced and go to the company owning the sp...
(continues)
...
AvgJoe

Feb 1, 2008, 3:31 AM
But you and others don't think Google really wants to OWN that spectrum. How easy or difficult is it to use existing network infrastructure for Carriers that have such to utilize the new band?
...
bigdaddyjay

Feb 1, 2008, 10:21 AM
Owning it is pointless unless you use it. They would have to form a partnership to use another carriers infrastructure and that carrier would need to install 700MHz base station equipment on existing towers and build out areas that aren't covered.
...
bigdaddyjay

Jan 31, 2008, 11:44 PM
AvgJoe said:
matrix2004 said:
I agree, Google is NOT going to build a network and handsets even if they have the money to own the whole planet's network. They want every phone, computer, toaster, oven to run their software.

And what better way to do that then own the wireless spectrum those units will operate on?


That network will be open and Google will have to let anyones phones and software to work on it so if their platform sucks then what???
...

This forum is closed.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

This forum is closed.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.
2