Review: Samsung Instinct
Top message: There's no problems with the touchscreen, just the reviewer. by monkeyracer
Replying to: Re: User error should be rare by PDXMatt
Re: User error should be rare
All kidding aside. . .
It took me about two seconds to figure out that I had to slide the speaker phone button over (because several other features on the phone use this standard.) If a reviewer (at least a serious reviewer) can't decipher the crypticness that is a sliding button, then maybe he should review things that ain't got no buttons. Like a scooter.
If you want something to gripe about when reviewing the Instinct, it's not hard to find them. It auto-recognizes when you plug regular headphones into the device, and switches off to using the internal mic (yes, that means you can use your skull candy/shure head phones to talk on the phone), but it fails to give you a way to answer the phone when normal headphones are plugged in. Instead it asks you to push the headset button on the headphones (which are non-existent.)
You can't turn the phone off (or lock the touch screen) when in a call.
When listening to Sprint Radio (which is awesome, btw) the phone chooses to ignore all incoming phone calls and text messages.
There's a long list of things that need improving, but I have to agree with monkey, "I'm too stupid to touch the correct portion of the screen, or figure out how to slide a button" is not a downfall of the phone, it's just bad reviewing.
Will people leave ATT to come to Sprint because they can't live without the Instinct? No. Will people keep leaving Sprint to go to ATT because they can't live without an iPhone? Yes... but I bet less will leave now.
Would I rather have an iPhone? Yes. Am I going to leave Sprint for a crappy network now that the Instinct is here? Heavens no. Was I considering it before the Instinct hit the scene? Not really.
So what advantages does Instinct have over the iPhone?
1. Micro SD. Serously Apple, extract your noggins from the dark place and realize that your onboard storage is very 1992.
2. Windows Explorer is the Instinct's version of iTunes. I wanna copy an mp3 over, and I copy an mp3 over. No need to install anything.
3. It's CDMA. This feature alone would have me running from the iPhone.
4. Extra Battery. (never mind "replaceable" battery...) the Instinct comes with an EXTRA battery and external charger.
5. It's CDMA. Yes that feature alone gets two points.
6. The GPS. The GPS and it's "find me the lowest price on gas that's close by" is just cool.
Again, I think I'd still rather have an iPhone, but, the Instinct definitely deserves a better review than it got. It wasn't a "what does the Instinct have" review... it was a "this is why the iPhone is better" review. Biased, uninformative, and lacking in information.
No replies to this message