Sprint Intros Free Wi-Fi Calling for Some Smartphones
I see this as a double edge sword:
1. Data, text, calling can be offloaded of carriers networks in big cities where congestion can be an issue.
Although they lose out on selling you a microCell for your home or business.//Still a pro for consumers
2. Businesses' can use their wifi network in their buildings if cell service is spotty
3. If your out of cell coverage (or out of country but I'm not sure?) but have wifi you can still use your phone.
1. This could give them less incentive to build out in rural areas, because if you have wifi at home why would you need to them to build out coverage to your house.
2. Wifi networks can also be congested and even slow depending on several factors. Speed of Internet service, number of people on network, spectrum and band being used, etc.
3. Can see businesses who offer free wifi now stop offering free wifi or block it if their networks get to congested.
- Re: Eventually... by rafster
- Re: Eventually... by KOL4420