AT&T Uneasy with Clearwire Portion of Sprint-Softbank Deal
Top message: Good by stevelvl
Replying to: Re: Good by newfoneguy
Government does control the cell phone uindustry.
1. You have to have approval to start any wireless company MVNO or operator.
2. The government license the spectrum and determines when and where you can use it. They also limit the amount of companies that can operate in any given geographical area.
3. FCC mandates minimal service levels to carriers, if they are not met the carriers face fines. This includes every thing from minimal sellers to maximum hold times.
4. The FCC mandates other carriers be allowed to roam onto carrier networks.
5. FCC mandates the shearing of carrier resources.
6. The FCC tells carriers which devices they can and can not have. They also tell Carrier what features those devices have to have (such as GPS and hearing aid compatibility)
7. All carriers have to present their price plans to the FCC for approval. If one companies wants to charge higher then the industry average they have to justify it to the FCC before ti is approved.
The wireless industry is just as regulated as the energy, landline or way more then cable. These are just a few examples. Your assumption that the cell phone industry is free of government intervention is wrong at best. It is equally misguided as your idea of monopolies.