Phone Scoop

printed August 3, 2015
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/discuss.php?fm=m&ff=10626&fh=3140807

Home  ›  News  ›

One of RIM's Hardware Makers to Stop Making BlackBerries

Article Comments  

all discussions

Doesn't Sound Good

Vmac39

Jun 18, 2012, 4:49 PM
With so many devices unsold, what are they going to do with them, especially with them trying to push out new devices running Blackberry OS 10?

I guess they could take a smaller lose by offering them to prepaid and smaller regional carriers at a discounted rate. Hell, even the larger carriers could push these devices as a smart phone on pay-as-you-go plans.
...
HawkeyeOC

Jun 18, 2012, 10:32 PM
The BB10 rollout with its new devices I would assume would be over time and not instantly in the fall. You should see overlap in OS10 and 7 devices as they introduce them.

prepaid, 3rd world markets? all good ideas
...
Vmac39

Jun 18, 2012, 10:59 PM
Yeah, even with one or two devices being released, it may still put them in more of a hole, as more BlackBerry users and potential users gravitate to the newer devices. Assuming, these new devices are the cats ass.
...
muchdrama

Jun 18, 2012, 11:28 PM
HawkeyeOC said:
The BB10 rollout with its new devices I would assume would be over time and not instantly in the fall. You should see overlap in OS10 and 7 devices as they introduce them.

prepaid, 3rd world markets? all good ideas


Prepaid. VERY good idea.
...
muchdrama

Jun 18, 2012, 11:27 PM
Vmac39 said:
With so many devices unsold, what are they going to do with them, especially with them trying to push out new devices running Blackberry OS 10?

I guess they could take a smaller lose by offering them to prepaid and smaller regional carriers at a discounted rate. Hell, even the larger carriers could push these devices as a smart phone on pay-as-you-go plans.


I'd imagine they'd sell the surplus wholesale to businesses--there's still a ton of businesses out there that need tons of Blackberries for their employees.
...
Vmac39

Jun 19, 2012, 1:22 AM
I suppose. But, with a lot of businesses moving away from BlackBerry, it will still be very hard to sell even half of the surplus they have to businesses.
...
muchdrama

Jun 19, 2012, 2:54 AM
Vmac39 said:
I suppose. But, with a lot of businesses moving away from BlackBerry, it will still be very hard to sell even half of the surplus they have to businesses.


That depends on the size of the surplus and if it's even possible for businesses to switch over from Blackberry.
...
T Bone

Jun 19, 2012, 1:50 AM
I think the unsold devices are mostly Playbook tablets....which have been steeply discounted for a while and are still not moving as quickly as they would like....

But I think the main problem selling handsets is simply the fact that Blackberry enthusiasts, like myself. are waiting for the Blackberry 10 devices to arrive....

The Blackberry 7 devices do look impressive, but they also don't have much of a future because they won't be able to be upgraded to Blackberry 10...and I think this fact is widely known....

As for me, I've been eligible for an upgrade since March....and I've sat on it because I'm waiting for the Blackberry 10's to arrive....I can't be the only one...
...
Vmac39

Jun 19, 2012, 7:43 AM
I feel your pain. Lol

Honestly, I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. Waiting for BlackBerry to put out something nice, to replace the Bold 9000. Unfortunately, they didn't. Only recently did they put out something that I thought would have been a worthy successor a couple of years ago. That is the new touch screen Bold. Same size same form factor.

But, at last, I couldn't hold onto the old BlackBerry for another couple of years, with the issues I had with it. As much as I like WP, I may consider going back to BlackBerry, if they come out with something worthy of my $200.

I say may, because I was once in love with BlackBerry but, I've been loving my WP, too.
...

This forum is closed.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

This forum is closed.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2015 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.
1