AT&T Sunsetting 2G Services on 1900MHz
Top message: Upgrade towers by cyclekid58
Replying to: Re: Upgrade towers by cyclekid58
Re: Upgrade towers
This thing will no doubt happen in stages...
1. Stop selling 2G equipment (which I think has already happened, if not it will happen soon)
2. People who currently have 2G phones are encouraged to upgrade to 3G
3. A warning is made, and a date certain is set for the shuttering of the 2G network
4. After the 2G network is shut down, those still using 2G equipment will probably be offered a chance to upgrade to a 3G or even 4G phone
And that is just what will need to happen before the EDGE network can be shut down in New York....this will probably take at least 2-3 years if not longer....then the same thing will happen in other markets until, probably over about 5-7 years, the EDGE network is shut down all over the country...
We're not at the end of the process, we're not even really in stage one yet.... if recent history is any guide (at&t's shutting down the old network and introducing GSM in 2003) by the time this actually happens, the transition will be largely complete and people won't even be aware of it when it happens.
- Re: Upgrade towers by cyclekid58