Qualcomm Announces New 3G Chips
May 13, 2004, 9:59 AM by (staff)
Qualcomm today announced several new chips and chipsets for mobile phones and devices, supporting advanced 3G standards and multimedia capabilities:
- MSM6280: Chipset for the WCDMA (UMTS) / HSDPA standard, supporting data rates up to 7.2 Mbps. Also supports traditional WCDMA, GSM, GPRS, and EDGE. Samples expected to ship in the second half of 2005.
- MSM7500: First chipset in new "Convergence Platform" series targeted at advanced devices (beyond phones). Chipsets in the series support 6 megapixel cameras, video recording and playback at VGA resolution and 30 fps, TV connection, VGA displays, advanced 3D acceleration, application processor up to 1 GHz, Bluetooth, USB, and Wi-Fi. MSM7500 supports CDMA, CDMA EV-DO, and GSM/GPRS. Samples expected to ship in the 1st quarter of 2005.
- MSM7200: Similar to MSM7500, but supports WCDMA (UMTS)/HSDPA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE. Samples expected to ship in the 4th quarter of 2005.
- MSM7600: Similar to MSM7500, but supports all major standards, including CDMA, EV-DO, EV-DV, WCDMA, HSDPA, GSM, and EDGE. Samples expected to ship in 2006.
- RTR6275: RF chip for previously-announced MSM6275 HSDPA chipset, that adds support for EDGE. Samples are expected to ship in the 2nd quarter of 2005.
Samsung Intros Unlocked Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge
Samsung today said U.S. consumers can buy unlocked variants of the Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge.
Huawei Takes Aim at Snapdragon 810 with Kirin 950
Huawei today announced the Kirin 950 chipset for phones, which is designed to compete with Qualcomm Snapdragon 800-series chipsets in higher-end phones. Huawei claims that the 950 is 25% faster and 44% more power-efficient than the Snapdragon 810, Qualcomm's current flagship chip.
LG Reveals Mid-Range K Series Ahead of CES
LG has announced a handful of K Series handsets that round out its roster of affordable devices. Shared features between the devices include removable batteries, Bluetooth 4.x, WiFi, support for 3G/4G networks, and support for memory cards.
- K10: The largest of the new devices, the K10 has a 5.3-inch, 720p touch display that's covered by 2.5D curved glass.
ZTE Cuts Into the Entry-Level Space with Two New Blade V8s
ZTE today announced the Blade V8 Mini and the Blade V8 Lite, two low-spec'd devices that will sit under the Blade V8 Pro released earlier this year. The phones share a number of features, including metal designs, rear-mounted fingerprint sensors, 5-inch HD displays, 2 GB of RAM, and 16 GB of storage.