Qualcomm Announces New 3G Chips
May 13, 2004, 9:59 AM by (staff)
Qualcomm today announced several new chips and chipsets for mobile phones and devices, supporting advanced 3G standards and multimedia capabilities:
- MSM6280: Chipset for the WCDMA (UMTS) / HSDPA standard, supporting data rates up to 7.2 Mbps. Also supports traditional WCDMA, GSM, GPRS, and EDGE. Samples expected to ship in the second half of 2005.
- MSM7500: First chipset in new "Convergence Platform" series targeted at advanced devices (beyond phones). Chipsets in the series support 6 megapixel cameras, video recording and playback at VGA resolution and 30 fps, TV connection, VGA displays, advanced 3D acceleration, application processor up to 1 GHz, Bluetooth, USB, and Wi-Fi. MSM7500 supports CDMA, CDMA EV-DO, and GSM/GPRS. Samples expected to ship in the 1st quarter of 2005.
- MSM7200: Similar to MSM7500, but supports WCDMA (UMTS)/HSDPA and GSM/GPRS/EDGE. Samples expected to ship in the 4th quarter of 2005.
- MSM7600: Similar to MSM7500, but supports all major standards, including CDMA, EV-DO, EV-DV, WCDMA, HSDPA, GSM, and EDGE. Samples expected to ship in 2006.
- RTR6275: RF chip for previously-announced MSM6275 HSDPA chipset, that adds support for EDGE. Samples are expected to ship in the 2nd quarter of 2005.