Review: HTC Inspire 4G
HTC has refreshed the camera a bit since the last Sense device I tested. It launches quickly with a press of the software button and uses 90% of the screen as the viewfinder. The remaining 10% hold several key controls and the shutter button. These controls are great, as they provide quick access to vital things such as the flash, the camcorder, etc.
You need to press the Menu key on the device to access the full camera settings. I wish a button for the settings was included on the display, instead. The settings let you fine-tune the camera's behavior. Some include ISO (100-800), white balance, auto focus, face detection, and brightness.
The Inspire 4G is hurt a little bit by the lack of a physical camera button. Still, using the on-screen software button isn't terrible. The Inspire takes about a second to focus most shots, and another second or so to capture the image and show the review screen. The review screen can be set to 2 seconds, 1 second, or off, allowing you to get straight back to the camera. The Inspire also offers touch-to-focus, meaning you can focus on a specific item in the viewfinder by pressing it.
AD article continues below...
Surprisingly, the Inspire 4G lacks a user-facing camera. That means no video chatting. In the world of FaceTime, that's a glaring omission.
As with other Sense phones, the Inspire 4G uses an HTC-made gallery. It can be opened from either the camera or the menu, and presents pictures in either a timeline or via grid. The timeline mixes pictures and videos into one long stream of images and movies. The entire stream flows back and forth as you swipe your finger to and fro in a very fluid manner.
As far as editing goes, images can be cropped and rotated. Users can also apply a number of effects. These include the usual (B&W, Sepia) as well as a few that are more meant to improve the image (auto-enhance, color balance) rather than alter it.
Tools for sending the images include email, MMS, Bluetooth, Facebook, Twitter and so on.
Review: Apple iPhone 6s Plus
Apple's newest iPhones may look like last year's, but the company packed tons of appealing updates into the 6s Plus. New features such as 3D Touch and the improved cameras impress, while refinements to iOS 9 and how the 6s Plus interacts with the platform give the handset new-found power.
Review: Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung's Galaxy S8 flagship raises the bar for smartphones thanks to its eye-popping display, attractive design, and blistering performance. This Android handset impresses in nearly every way.
Review: HTC U11 Life for T-Mobile
HTC's U11 Life is a mid-range handset disguised as a flagship smartphone. This affordable Android device steals its good looks and many of its features from HTC's more expensive U11.
Review: Asus ZenFone V Live for Verizon Wireless
The Asus ZenFone V Live claims to have a unique trick up its sleeve: it can process real-time beautification effects when broadcasting live video to certain social networks. When it's not doing that, the V Live a solid entry-level Android smartphone that has a respectable set of specs keeping things humming under the hood.
Review: Huawei P10
Huawei's mid-sized flagship handset is the P10, a slim Android smartphone that boasts a unibody metal chassis. The P10's hardware impresses, and the phone's core performance ranks with the best.