Review: Pantech Laser
The Laser has a resistive touch display. It's behavior was somewhat inconsistent. I'd say 80% of the time, it performed perfectly. No delays, no mistaken taps or swipes, no goof-ups. The other 20% it seemed to have a mind of its own. It wouldn't register taps or swipes. It would delay and then skip through three screens at a time.
The problems seemed to occur most often on the home screen. The display behaved normally on the menu screens, and within applications and/or services.
CTIA Fall 2010
Phone Scoop is on site in San Francisco to take in all the breaking news and hands-on experiences of the fall CTIA trade show. Be sure to check for full coverage and handset first impressions here.
Hands On with the Cat Phone S61
Cat Phones has a new rugged flagship at Mobile World Congress this year and it takes the Flir heat-capture camera to a new level of productivity. This phone is tough as nails and still lets people measure temperature, air quality, and distance/area with a laser.
Micro-LED Backlights Could Bring OLED Performance to LCD Screens
AT CES this week, Rohinni demonstrated its micro-LED technology, and provided a glimpse at new backlight technology it's working on for the LCD display panels used in phones. While most LED chips are around 1mm, Rohinni's micro-LEDs are many times smaller and can be placed precisely on thin, flexible plastic sheets.
Asus Shows Off the ZenFone 2 Laser
Asus today announced the ZenFone 2 Laser, which will be sold unlocked in the U.S. The Laser looks nearly identical to the ZenFone 2, but makes a number of tasteful upgrades that add up to a much more capable handset.
Asus' Zenfone 3 Series Goes On Sale This Month
Asus today announced pricing and availability for its Zenfone 3 family of smartphones. The Zenfone 3 Deluxe 5.7 Special Edition, Deluxe 5.7, Deluxe 5.5, and Laser will all be sold unlocked, directly to consumers via Asus' web site.