Windows Mobile 6 Coming To US
Feb 12, 2007, 10:38 AM by (staff)
As expected, a number of Windows Mobile 6 devices were announced today at 3GSM from a range of manufacturers. Although a multitude were announced, only a few are likely to come to American shores. In addition to the previously-announced Motorola Q q9 and Samsung i760, they are:
- iPAQ Voice Messenger: This candybar style phone runs Standard edition and stands out with a number of voice-centric features. The iPAQ includes Wi-Fi for VOIP calls in addition to GSM/EDGE and Bluetooth. It also includes text to speech for reading of text and email messages, as well as a large set of speaker independent voice commands. Available in the US this spring.
- HTC S710: The S710 (Vox) looks like a small candybar running standard edition, however it slides open sideways like HTC's Pocket PC phones to reveal a full QWERTY keyboard. The keypad has new lights to indicate function and caps lock. The Vox is quad-band GSM/EDGE and features Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Micro SD slot and a 2 Megapixel camera. The GSM version will ship in Europe later this year; no US GSM carrier has signed on to offer it yet.
- i-mate JAQ4: This will be the first Windows Mobile 6 phone to ship from i-mate. It is a quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE qwerty device that includes Wi-Fi and GPS. This is an update from the JAQ3, which was just announced last month, and has a 2.8-inch 65k color touch screen, 2.0 megapixel camera, and miniSD card slot.
- i-mate Ultimate: The i-mate Ultimate is a range of 5 devices from candy bar to PDA to notebook replacement. They all come with Windows Mobile 6 and Intel Bulverde 520MHz processors. They have quad-band GSM/EDGE and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA radios, and also have Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth 2.0, and 2 megapixel camera. They will feature an XGA direct video out, 262k VGA LCD touch screen, microSD card slot and 256 MB of ROM.
- ASUS Aries: This QWERTY monoblock runs Windows Mobile 6 Standard edition and is notable for its tri-band UMTS 850/1900/2100 for global 3G coverage. Similar in appearance to the Nokia E61/62 and several iPAQ smartphones, the Aries includes a scroll wheel for quick navigation around the screen and a 2-megapixel camera that also has a front-facing camera for video calls.
T-Mobile Outs Windows 10 VR Phone From Alcatel
T-Mobile today listed the "Alcatel IDOL 4S with Windows 10 VR" on its web site. The unique version of the Idol 4S not only runs Windows 10, but sports many of the upgrades available in the related BlackBerry DTEK60, such as the high-end Snapdragon 820 processor, 21-megapixel camera, and USB Type-C connector, none of which are in the standard Idol 4S.
LG Terra, Flip World Phone, Lands On Verizon Wireless
Verizon Wireless recently added the LG Terra to its lineup of basic feature phones. The Terra is a flip phone that runs a simple operating system with features such as text-to-speech for listening to text messages and photo ID for identifying incoming calls.
Huawei Mate S Has Force Touch
Huawei today announced the Mate S, its new flagship Android smartphone. Its most notable feature is Force Touch, which precisely measures pressure on its touch screen.
Verizon Selling Lumia 735 Starting Today
Verizon Wireless today announced the Microsoft Lumia 735, a low-cost Windows Phone. The 735 includes a 4.7-inch HD screen, 1.2GHz quad-core processor, and 16 GB of storage.
Windows Mobile 6 Upgrade
The Dash is getting the WM6 upgrade cause it is...
Wifi Used as Access Point