Windows Mobile 6 Coming To US
Feb 12, 2007, 10:38 AM by (staff)
As expected, a number of Windows Mobile 6 devices were announced today at 3GSM from a range of manufacturers. Although a multitude were announced, only a few are likely to come to American shores. In addition to the previously-announced Motorola Q q9 and Samsung i760, they are:
- iPAQ Voice Messenger: This candybar style phone runs Standard edition and stands out with a number of voice-centric features. The iPAQ includes Wi-Fi for VOIP calls in addition to GSM/EDGE and Bluetooth. It also includes text to speech for reading of text and email messages, as well as a large set of speaker independent voice commands. Available in the US this spring.
- HTC S710: The S710 (Vox) looks like a small candybar running standard edition, however it slides open sideways like HTC's Pocket PC phones to reveal a full QWERTY keyboard. The keypad has new lights to indicate function and caps lock. The Vox is quad-band GSM/EDGE and features Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Micro SD slot and a 2 Megapixel camera. The GSM version will ship in Europe later this year; no US GSM carrier has signed on to offer it yet.
- i-mate JAQ4: This will be the first Windows Mobile 6 phone to ship from i-mate. It is a quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE qwerty device that includes Wi-Fi and GPS. This is an update from the JAQ3, which was just announced last month, and has a 2.8-inch 65k color touch screen, 2.0 megapixel camera, and miniSD card slot.
- i-mate Ultimate: The i-mate Ultimate is a range of 5 devices from candy bar to PDA to notebook replacement. They all come with Windows Mobile 6 and Intel Bulverde 520MHz processors. They have quad-band GSM/EDGE and tri-band UMTS/HSDPA radios, and also have Wi-Fi, FM and Bluetooth 2.0, and 2 megapixel camera. They will feature an XGA direct video out, 262k VGA LCD touch screen, microSD card slot and 256 MB of ROM.
- ASUS Aries: This QWERTY monoblock runs Windows Mobile 6 Standard edition and is notable for its tri-band UMTS 850/1900/2100 for global 3G coverage. Similar in appearance to the Nokia E61/62 and several iPAQ smartphones, the Aries includes a scroll wheel for quick navigation around the screen and a 2-megapixel camera that also has a front-facing camera for video calls.
Windows Mobile 6 Upgrade
The Dash is getting the WM6 upgrade cause it is...
Wifi Used as Access Point